To Overclock Or Not To Overclock

Psychotic_god

Should I buy an Fx-55 processor for $860 , or should I get like a 4000+ for like $400 and just overclock it to an fx-55 equivalent. Is there something the FX-55 has that the 4000+ could never have even through overclocking?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

while i wouldn't call watercooling "crappy"... kb has a point... getting the best out of an fx chip needs a certain investment in time, money and effort to really oc it... THEN you get your money's worth...

a powerful chip like an fx really needs a powerful cooling system to run fast... aircooling isn't really gonna do it... i have a feeling even with my venice chip i could oc higher if i had better cooling (45

Yeah, but I think Im going to leave extreme overclocking to a later rig. This one's just for UT2K4 and Doom3. I'll try to save up a better budget for my next one. And by the way, I was planning extreme cooling on my next rig, however lanparty-unfriendly it is.

I say find a good stepping 3000+ and OC it, then take the 700 bucks you saved and buy the rest of your computer.

My week 17 3000+ venice does 2,814Mhz on air.

if you really must chose between the 4000+ and FX-55/57, I would definatly go for the 4000+ (or a 3700+ sandiego, will probably hit the same speed).

Should I buy an Fx-55 processor for $860 , or should I get like a 4000+ for like $400 and just overclock it to an fx-55 equivalent. Is there something the FX-55 has that the 4000+ could never have even through overclocking?

547668[/snapback]

Your profile says that you already have an FX-55.... shouldn't you already know this? <confused>

upwards unlocked multipliers...

547670[/snapback]

This seemingly got passed over. The ability to raise the multiplier is pretty huge. But the cooling issue seems to be true. The FX's push some MAJOR clocks, but you don't see that happen very often without rediculous cooling.