To Overclock Or Not To Overclock

Psychotic_god

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The ability to raise the multiplier is pretty huge.

I disagree. With stock multipiers going up to 12 (on non FX A64s) and motherboards that can do in excess of 300MHz external clock with stability there is really no need for an upwards unlocked multiplier, unless you are using very slow ram.

As for the heat put out by an FX, it's pritty much te same as any other clawhammer or san diego core would put out at similar speeds. Voltage and speed will tell you how much leaked heat you will have to disipate.

Edited by oralpain

I'd go with the FX, If you have the money go for the gusto. Why not. Don't worry about those other guys, their jealous.

I'd go with the FX, If you have the money go for the gusto. Why not. Don't worry about those other guys, their jealous.

548719[/snapback]

Touche, but the answer I was looking for was--- Is the performance difference between the 4000+ and the fx-55 really worth $400? Im sure nobody could guess this but, Im 17, I don't have a job, and all my grandparents are allready dead, therefore, 400 bucks is kind of like, a lot, but don't focus on that, I think that if its really worth it, I'll pump the money into it, but once again, Is the performance difference between the 4000+ and the fx-55 really worth $400?!?!

Thank you all for you patience, I've messed up so much allready Im just making real sure before I rush into anything.

Eh, I'd say that you probably wouldn't see a major difference with your cooling. If you were going to freeze the thing then I'd say you could milk the price difference out of the FX, but for most normal cooling (even decent water), I doubt you're going to get enough of an OC out of the FX to justify the cost.

I'd say no its not worth it! I would take the $400 and put it towards memory, videocard, or a great overclocking motherboard. But thats just my 2 cents!

548789[/snapback]

:withstupid:

i agree the system now adays relies on much more than sheer processing power

If you have some PC4400 TCCD RAM, and a VPC, then you can make your system fly with an FX.

I'd expect a good 4.0 Ghz on an FX-55 with good cooling.

And on heat... well, you're going to be upping the vcore for stability, and it'll be crunching away nearly twice as many numbers per second, so yea...