Thermal Paste Question

z_best

I am building my first machine and have a newb question?

Should I apply the thermal paste to the entire surface of the heat sink or just the part that appears to be in contact with the CPU?

:blush:

Never mind, I found another thread related to applying thermal paste.

Edited by z_best

If your using AS5 just put a pea sized glob in the center of the chip.

545374[/snapback]

Then spread it out in a smll circle with a paper clip. After that, place the heatsink over it and lock it in place, then grab the HS and try to twist it left and right so the paste can set. I used AS5, and I got a 5-6 degree drop. Best stuff out there!

exactly..AS5 is a life saver...

follow those instructions on their website to the letter and youll have no problems.

those above me talking about spreading the stuff or using the pea-sized glob and then applying the heatsink are using 2 methods for differnet chips.

acording to the AS5 site. the "spreading of the stuff" method is fo rsmall die CPU's like the XP athlons. the "pea-sized then mount the HS" method is for the large die sized chips like the A64's.

the twisting of the heatsink once its in place is just a little bit left and right. about an eighth of a turn either way. mabye not even that much. anyway, this moves any possible air bubbles trapped in the stuff out. also ensures its "pressed" into the "grooves" in the surfaces making total contact throughout. I used a very stiff edge of a credit card to cover just the chip surface (but then again i have an XP).

use the search function. AS5 application has been covered NUMEROUS (read: many) times on here. i think i even posted some pics when i recently redid mine....here it is: http://forums.overclockersclub.com/?showtopic=54458&hl=AS5

those are just pics of the application. still pay attention to the website of AS5. and once you start fiddling around inside the case be careful you dont knock around your heatsink as thatll break the contact of the paste and your temps will rise a good 5c or more.

Edited by robAP