Ugly But Good

Dracosama

I am going to be doing the switch to water cooling and need some advice. I don't care about looks due to the fact that, while I have a window, my computer is stuck under a desk all the time in a small room. I need performance. The heat factor is rather bad. My current system is this:

2800 AMD 64

1.5 gig DDR ram

256 mg 9600xt

(forgot the mobo name) a gigabyte of some sorts

2-80 gig hd

2-120 gig

2-200 gig

2-250gig

7-pci cards

My current air setup consist of a :blink: total of 15 fans :blink: including the cpu fan. As you can imagine this DOES keep everything cool, but is louder than a shop vac. I am not sure what to do for WC. I don't mind putting together the whole thing from seperate parts, but this is totally new to me. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.

Edited by Dracosama

i dont think you needed Fifteen fans.... you need like 3. if its really hot then you can add some more but 15 is ALOT. for the 3 would be... 1 Case fan,Heasinkw/cpufan,chipset cooler. and i think they made heatspreaders for hd's, memorie and stuff. so then just add maybe 2-3 120 fans. or 80 it doesnt matter. look @ the RPM the more the better for the air. also maybe a air duct for heat exhaustion and intake.

Hmmm.. I run water and Love it....

but in your case it may not be the best (well..water is always good...but)

I would say the majority of the heat is from the harddrives

8 drives running raid would be VERY warm

I'll give this some thought and report back...

Well, it would add some more cost, but they may be what you need to control your heat:

H20 HD Cooler 1

or

HD Cooler 2

or

H20 Cooler 3

I really think cooling those HD's should be your first priority

then for a CPU block..

Swiftech Storm

then for a radiator:

Black Ice Xtreme II

maybe even:

Black ice triple 120

if you get all the HD coolers, because honestly, those are producing a lot of your heat

and for the pump:

(this is one thing im sketchy on, if you get a bunch of HD coolers, I'm not sure if this guy is strong enough...anyone know?)

Swiftech MCP655

and maybe 1 or 2 of these Swiftech MCRES-525 Res

I might go with 2 if i were you (if you have the space) just due to the amount of tube that you will have in your system.

Edited by sdy284

Guest Flashstar

I think that it would be wiser to somehow build a duct to fit around your hard drives and to isolate the hot air. You can thus have 2 fans in the front of your computer, the top one blowing out and the bottom one blowing in.

I think that it would be wiser to somehow build a duct to fit around your hard drives and to isolate the hot air. You can thus have 2 fans in the front of your computer, the top one blowing out and the bottom one blowing in.

541014[/snapback]

thats a good idea 2

maybe try a btx setup? but i dunno if you'll find a btx case with the space you need for all those HD's