Dual Monitor How-to

bishop245

Ok after being asked a few times I have dedcided to make a lil how to on the dual or more monitors. In this explanation i will use pics from my new quad setup.

This will not cover using a tv as a second monitor as i haven't done that (yet :D)

This was also done under WinXP SP2

The easiest way to do this is to have a video card with 2 outputs(vga+vga or vga+dvi). Alternatly you can also use 2 video cards(1 agp and 1 pci). I can't remember if I have done this with 2 pci cards. I have also heard that you can't run more than 1 monitor per card in SLI mode. On a side not ATI and nVidia cards dont play nice with each other so stay with one company for both cards.

My setup at this time is a BFG 6800OC and a PNY FX5500 with a Sony E540, Envision E-985e, Envision E-910e, and a Compaq MV540.

First off turn your computer off before trying to install the second video card. Once you have both video cards installed then hook up all the monitors to be used and make sure they have power.

After booting back up and getting drivers installed then the fun begins :).

Go to Display Properties>Settings

This pic shows how it should be set for the Primary Monitor.

pic%202.JPG

This one shows what you need to check for adding a monitor

pic%203.JPG

Go ahead and move the second monitor to its desired position, set its res, colors, and then hit apply. Now you should have your dual monitor setup running like a charm.

Now people also ask how i do the different wallpapers on each monitor. The way i do this is with Ultramon. Get it installed (you have to buy it) and then run it, with Ultramon you can have a bar on each monitor showing what is on that monitor(extension of the start bar). You can also use it to select different wallpapers per monitor(see pic below).

pic%204.JPG

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q:

i have a ati card (x800xt AIW) and i was curiouse if there was something you might know of to do this:

first moniter: primary games and junk here.

second moniter: music/tempature/systomspace/cpustats/foldingstats

third moniter: miror of the first moniter but in a 640 by 480 box

(3rd moniter will be recording(via my cool vcr) what i do on the first moniter so if i skrew something up i have it one tape!

do you think this is a fesable setup? or will this kill my gaming preformance

note: all monters are being run off a ati x800 xt AIW

thx for any comments

Nice bish. I got the dual setup working but I can't get the PCI GFX card to work. Assume U need both card to be from the same compnay. Mine are S3 and nvidia.

531110[/snapback]

I've heard the video card drivers don't play nice so its very well could be your problem.

if you are using the second port on your card it will effect performance just disable your second screen, but the best bet is buy a cheap pci card like a voodoo3 or something then here should be no performance decrease

also i am using an ati and nvidia together

i installed the full nvidia package for my 6800gt then i downloaded just the ATI windows drivers for my Radeon 7200 and installed just the drivers that the card needs using the device manager

i have no problems what so ever