Anyone Here Familiar With Running Shoes?

I need help deciding between:

Adidas Supernova Cushion

Nike Shox Cog

They both sound good. The Shox are more expensive, but I've had some Shox before and they were durable and comfy. Never used an Adidas shoe, but its price is a lot more attractive than the Shox's.

• 2 weeks later...

Adidtas are going to have better torsion control and a lighter forefoot strike plate. They also use a form of neoprese for the sock lining so they are going to breath just as easily as the Nike's, but be far more durable. Additionally, Shox are not rounded at the heal, they are straight, so you are much more likely to break your ankle if you happen to roll it.

i used to run:

3 mile / 5 km cross country

100m sprint

200m sprint

400m sprint

110m hurdles

300m hurdles

4x100m relay (first leg)

4x400m relay (first leg)

long jump

triple jump

i HATE nike running shoes, they either suck, or don't suck but then fall apart (which then makes them suck)... adidas can be ok...

the best running shoes by far (for me) have been asics and new balance... they make really REALLY tough shoes that are light and fit my feet perfectly... i am living in disbelief of a pair of NB running shoes that i bought like 4 years ago that are still in one piece!!!! usually they last a year or maybe 2 years at a push... these are like made out of nasa spacesuit material or something lol...

the best thing is to try them on and make sure they fit right with enough space at the end to wiggle your toes, but not too much room that your foot can slide back and forth... the top part of the foot (instep?) needs to have the laces bound over so that the shoe has even force holding the tongue down in place...

all of my track events were run on the balls of my feet (ie. my heels don't touch the floor) so either wore really light asics/nb training shoes or asics competition spikes, for cross country where it'd be a combination of landing with the heel or running on the ball, i'd go for a slightly more rigid asics training shoe...

i'd recommend tough nylon type weave upper materials rather than canvas/suede/fake-leather because it's lighter and they stay light even when wet...

(just looked at both shoes)

man, those cogs look like girls shoes (ie, pointy and narrow rather than round and wide) ... if you have girl feet then get them, otherwise, like someone mentioned, your toes will get fubared for sure...

the supernovas look reasonable and would suit mid to long distance imo (800m+) because they have enough cushion in the heel for that style of running... they look like they'd be too heavy for anything shorter than 800m and definitely not for short distance competition/meets

Yeah, my XC comps are about 3 miles. I suck at running but I can complete them in one piece. I had some Nike Shox and they were fine at first, but I learned later that they aren't good for running (indeed, mud is a Shox's worst enemy). I don't have girl feet, but I don't exactly compete up there with big foot. Supernova it is.