Lite-on Dvd Burner

Hyper Threaded

I just purchased this from newegg, wondering if any of you guys have it and what you think of it. I saw it on-sale last night and needed a new drive so I ordered one.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16827106988

I always thought plextor was the best, but most expensive also,

Looks good to me.

522196[/snapback]

you pay for what you get for. bigred knows of a company that makes burners stronger like plextor, but not better i think.

Optorite. their software package blows... but who uses the OEM software anyway?

as far as thier drives... they're sanyo drives. so are plextor and TDK's drives too.

and if you want to know how well a DVD burner lasts... send it to my house. my wife was going thru 5,000 DVD's a month. I can tell you which ones have a short lifespan and which ones hold up. I can tell you which ones will burn anything, and which ones have problems with what media.

on the top of the food chain I'd have to go Optorite / Plextor / TDK / Sanyo or Samsung / Toshiba as the best.

Lite-on / Sony / Mad Dog / Pacific Digital / Hi-Val / Memorex (all the same drives) really tend to have reliability issues especially related to vibration and heat.

HP drives... ew ew ew ew ew ew ew ew ew ew ew ew ew ew ew I can't believe I actually paid $500 for an HP dvd burner at one point... ew ew ew ew ew ew ew ew. and when HP refused to take mine as part of the DVD200i trade in program... I sent them the drive in many more peices than it came to me in :)

Philips, LG and Hitachi's drives are also decent, but have some minor issues with prolonged use / abuse.

That seems like a lot fot that drive. Right now NCIX.com has a samsung dual layer/+- black face drive on for $46 CAD. I bought one back in March and it was awesome, better than my Pioneer and better than my Lite-on, (that I RMA'd once already.)