Support Our Troops With Your Old Pc Parts

bigr5026

if a mod sees this, would it be a possible sticky

I am trying to get parts together to do some upgrades to the MWR computers over here. The base I am at has 4 computers for a whole bunch of people to use. If we had more computers here to hook up then more people could get on the internet to talk with their significant others back in the states.

anything would be appreciated, and the address (which is below) is an APO/AE so that means USPS rates, doesnt cost extra to mail to an APO/AE.

The 4 systems here are P3's of various speeds, and anything would be for the most part an improvement. Ram, bigger HDs, faster processors etc. IF we can get stuff to build more comptuers we can hook them up to the lan here also (once they get "checked out" by the army computer person in charge of the MWR building). What I am also hoping to do is get a couple systems put together so that there can be some LAN gaming for people to do.

mailing adress is:

Jeffrey Wade

749th Ord Co (EOD)

Bagram Airfield

APO/AE 09354

As long as nobody has any objections also, everyone who includes a name with their stuff will have it put on a big sign at each place letting all the soldiers who use the equipment know exactly who donated the systems/parts. And each system will have a card attached to it stating who donated that specific machine/and or parts inside of it also.

as far as speeds go, anything is good. for machines to check email, well a P1 or K6 machine would suffice for that. Dont need no speed demon to check email. Obviously the faster ones i am able to piece together will get used for the lan gaming idea (if i am able to get enough parts in).

Also yesterday (it is 5am here right now), i talked to the Civil Affairs team and if i manage to have anythign left over after setting up the MWR building better we are going to help out the local school in the town outside the base. So even a P-60 (no 486s though) would be good. (as long as the items can run atleast win98)

for those who are sending stuff, or even just thinking of sending stuff, i want to say thanks, and if you include a return address, i will ensure i send you a unit photo from here, i know it isnt much but we (the troops) really appreciate it."

"I just want to let people know, that i will be buying the monitors myself for what ever systems i get put together. Keyboards/mice are appreciated too, but if i dont get any, i will be buying them over here. I jsut re-enlsited over here, and am setting a portion of my bonus money aside to buy the monitors, keyboards, and mice

"Well to let everyone know, i got done talking with the Base XO (he XO is Executive Officer, 2nd in command of the base). Before i had only talked to the computer guy here, but with the responses i have gotten i talked to the XO about it, and well i wish i had a camera with me at that time. He was truly amazed that people are sending computer stuff to set up for MWR (for those who dont know MWR is Morale, Welfare and Recreation). There will be a big sign in the building to let everyone know who uses it all the people who has donated parts/systems to make it all possible.

The soldiers here will be waiting eagerly for the stuff to get in. Once the stuff starts arriving, the XO has already told the ISSO that his priority will be to get the stuff set up so the troops can start using it as soon as possible. This already has had a BIG positive effect on the base, everyone is excited about being able to talk online with their spouses/loved ones longer and more often, play games against each other, and that they know without a doubt that people back in the states that dont even know them, do truly appreciate the sacrifices they are making over here being away from their families.

I know people have just started sending stuff, and hopefully people keep sending stuff (it would be nice to be able to do this to the other small bases here) and even though nothing is here yet, it is already being appreciated.

so from me, and everyone else here on this base, i just want to say a BIG thank you to peope who have sent stuff and who are going to send stuff also. Again, no part will be turned down, anything will happily be accepted, as stuff comes in and a system is able to be completed it will get setup, and once this place is done, I will get stuff sent to another outlaying base also. And any system that isnt fast enough to handle a network connection (internet/online messenger programs) will be getting donated to the local school. If all you have is a spare IDE cable and want to send it, it will be gladly accepted.

that was a neighbor emailing me this from another computer forum, please even the slightest thing send over thare for our guys

jw, why do they need bigger hds? All they need is a Linux build with GAIM and Opera......(well, unless they plan on the Lan Party idea.)

516433[/snapback]

Well if the machines are p60 ish they may only have hdds that are less than 500 megs.

And whist they could run linux most of the soldiers would be more used to windows. And of course the lan party idea.