Thinking Of Trying World Of Warcraft

Kamikaze_Badger

Well, I'm thinking about trying out World of Warcraft. My brother didn't like it, but he prefers games such as Lineage 2.

So, can anyone fully convince me that this game will be among the best?*

*Other than the scantily clad and sexy female models.

The only person that can tell you if you'll like the game is you. I'd suggest downloading some of the WoW videos from XFire or Gamespy to see the PvP and other aspects of the game.

Screenshots of the game (I have some here) will show you some of the game, but it's a lot better when you see the game in motion.

When you get the game, you'll have 30 days to make up your mind. After that, you're going to have to find some way to pay for it. It's cheaper to pay for more time up front, but even then it isn't cheap. It's a fair price IMO, and I know a lot of others will agree.

There are three kinds of servers out there. PvP, PvE (Normal), and RP. The PvE and RP servers are pretty much the same. In order to be attacked by another player, you have to do something that will "flag you" for PvP. The PvP servers, once you leave the "green zones" you are fair game to anyone of the opposing faction. So unless you like a lot of fighting, I'd suggest you stay off this kind of server. Even in the green zones, you can still be flagged for PvP on any of the server types.

The only real difference between the PvE and RP servers is that the RP servers are more strictly enforced for character names and language.

The game does have its share of bugs and issues. Blizzard keeps promising to improve the warlock, paladin, and warrior class, but really hasn't done a lot for any of them yet. A little here and there, but nothing major.

Server stability has greatly improved since the game first came out last year. I play on probably one of the most populated servers, and it hardly ever goes down anymore (*knock on wood*). Because the server is so populated, there is a bit of lag in some areas (mainly the large cities around the auction house, and during PvP).

The game is 1000x more fun if you have a decent guild to play with. The game is geared more toward groups, but it is possible to solo your way from level 1 to 60. Keep in mind, you'll miss a lot of cool stuff, and probably not have a lot of fun, if you solo the game.

Guest Jeremy

I played a 10-day trial I got from my friend, and if you ask me its not worth the money. I may just not be into this MMORPG stuff, but it seems a little boring and slow paced to me. Personally, I like more linear based and fast paced RPGs such as TESIII (soon TESIV). And as far as paying every month, i'd rather save my money and buy some new hardware. But thats just my opinion and you should definetely give it a try.

I played a 10-day trial I got from my friend, and if you ask me its not worth the money. I may just not be into this MMORPG stuff, but it seems a little boring and slow paced to me. Personally, I like more linear based and fast paced RPGs such as TESIII (soon TESIV). And as far as paying every month, i'd rather save my money and buy some new hardware. But thats just my opinion and you should definetely give it a try.

507574[/snapback]

10 days is hardly enough time to really get into the game. I doubt in that timeframe you were even done killing wolves. :lol:

WoW is a very fast passed game, especially when you get into PvP. A wrong move, wrong spell, a moment missed and you are dead. The other day I was fighting a mage who was several levels higher. All I had to do was kick, and the mage would have easily been dead. I hit the wrong button and preformed another move instead. The mage got the spell off and was able to kill me.

And I'm guessing that it gets even more intense in areas such as The Molten Core?

507943[/snapback]

MC is a strict place to be, you have to know what your role is in the instance and be as attentive as possible in order to make it very far, also MC is somewhere you should never go if you're worried about dying, you'll die a good ten times on any given run, no matter what class you are. ( We had a rogue use vanish like 3 times on my last run, when asked why he bothered with it he said he didn't want to die. Side note: Every mob in MC is able to see through your stealth little buddy, so you're gonna die anyways. :rolleyes: )

Personally I think that the best class to be in MC would have to be a Warlock, no need to watch your DPS as you won't be doing more damage than the mages/rogues, and the only real things you'd have to keep an eye on would be soul stone timers, and banishing any elemental adds that may come along.

MC is definitly a blast to do with a good guild, but you will have to find a good guild to get into. I would definitly say you should give the game a shot, try it for 30 days see if you like it or not. Also as mentioned before i would say start on a PvE server or Normal server. Unless you want to have a broken monitor from the constant lv 60 ganking you :)

Edited by r_g

• 2 weeks later...