What Kinda Processor/socket This Is?

yesterday my friend gave me an old dell he got from his ex.when i took it home i noticed the processor is HUGE.looks like a stick of ram on steroids.i pulled it apart and it was a pentium 3.kinda neat.never saw one of these before(still new to the computer scene).

its kinda neat actually.on one side has heatsink where it looks like the piece of metal folded like a radiator cores.and on the other side a holographic sticker near where it says p3.on top it reads.600e/256/100/1.65v S1 maylay 99.

are these types of processors still made.if not i might have me a antique :D

It's either going to be a Slot 1 or Slot 2 PIII processor. I don't visit Intel's site much or pay much attnetion to when they stop making outdated chips, but since they only recently stopped producing the PII, there's a good chance they still produce them. But I never hear much about Slots anymore.

i dont think p3's are no longer made, and that processor is 600 Mhz, with a 100 bus, and 256 cache.

506190[/snapback]

hole in one on that one...

and NO PIII's on the slot 2 interface would be called Xeons... and they're about 2 1/2 times the size of a PIII.

there are 3 different types of Pentium!!!. The original Pentium!!! consisted of a slot1 design. later on slots were no longer good, so they reverted back to the chips. of the chips there were 2 different kinds, tulataline and something else, i cant remember well. big red knows.

yep, the classice slot CPUs, Bet they caused more problems with ppl trying to put slot 1 PIIIs in slot 1 PII boards that wernt compatable than ppl trying to use skt 939 chips in 940 boards....(yeah it only has one less pin, so it must still fit right...)

there are 3 different types of Pentium!!!. The original Pentium!!! consisted of a slot1 design. later on slots were no longer good, so they reverted back to the chips. of the chips there were 2 different kinds, tulataline and something else, i cant remember well. big red knows.

508337[/snapback]

the other type i belive was coppermine

the other type i belive was coppermine

508357[/snapback]

Correct.

I had a Tulatin PIII Celeron 800 that I ran at 140 bus for 1.2 ghz. That thing never went over 40 C and ran everything I threw at it much better than expected. I loved that chip...it's what got me into overclocking. My next chip was a 2100+ Pally, which I promptly traded for a friend's DLT3C 1700+. That chip is godly...it hit 2.47 with 1.63 volts (still under the regular T-bred B vcore :P ) and is still running that speed today in my old computer. Before I retire the setup I'm using now (mobile Barton @ 2.4) I might pop that DLT3C into my Ultra Infinity and see what kind of numbers I can crank out. :)

My Venice gets here tomorrow. :D

jeez, here we go again. urban legend runing wild. must put the boot of reason on this one and smash it again :(

so once again the history of the intel desktop cpu from the PII to present day.

first off there was the slot 1 Pentium II derived from the socket 8 Pentium Pro. Intel removed the full speed on die cache, did a die shrink and added MMX. the PII was klamath and deschutes. next came katmai which was nothing more than a slot 1 PII with SSE and the first designated Pentium III. this chip had 512k of half speed off die cache. then came a jump in FSB to 133mhz. then came coppermine and the die shrink to go with 256k of full speed on die cache. THIS is where the issues lied... not in idiots using PII boards for PIII's. coppermine came in both slot 1 and socket 370 and in both 100 and 133mhz fsb setups. socket 370 was designed for low profile systems (tough to do with slot 1) and to decrease cost and offload it BACK to the mobo makers (this was discovered when the celeron was moved to 370 a year earlier).

after the release of the P4 and the drop back to a 100mhz fsb on socket 423, the xeon was yet to move to the new core, yet was way to expensive due to it's massive 1 and 2 mb on die caches. small servers needed a work around. thus the tulatin came out. this chip had SMP support unlike the P4. thus another die shrink, with 512k of full speed L2 cache (celeron models had 256k) and came in both 100 and 133 models. in the workign world they were also MUCH faster than early P4's (thus disproving intel's old MHZ is speed claim). these chips were the hardest for intel to support on different mobos and the most expensive PIII's... however they were later bred into the Pentium M.

In the mean time the P4 willamette was moved to socket 478. then came the die shrink and 512k of L2 cache called the northwood. northwood saw many updates, including an FSB raised from 100 to 133 and finally 200mhz. it saw the addition of Hyperthreading, and an additional 2mb of L3 cache which intel classified as the Gallatin or P4 extreme edition. Next up was the death of socket 478, prescott, yet another die shrink, 1mb of L2 cache... and HEAT. so came socket 775, 64 bit, dual core and in some cases a fsb raised to 266. and here we are today.

now as far as numbnuts putting 939 chips on 940 boards... good lord that is an annoying one to fix. every time it gets asked, some DIMWIT says it works. in fact it does NOT. pure and simple it does NOT. 940 cpus use different cores that are NOT used on socket 939. sledgehammer and what ever the new 90nm one (it's been a long day... give me a break... brain fried I don't remember the name) are only used on 940 boards... therefore the microcode for them is ALL 940 boards understand. you try tossing a winchester or venice or san diego in there and you'll get nothing. I've also seen a few darwin nominees cut a pin off 940 processors... and they should have kept cutting to make it a key chain. it just won't work.

and waco... tulatins started @ 1.13ghz. an 800mhz celeron would have been a socket 370 coppermine based. it had no heat spreader, 100mhz fsb and 128k of cache. no suprise it ran at 1.2 or better... most celerons of that era were fine running up that high.

Edited by bigred

and waco... tulatins started @ 1.13ghz.  an 800mhz celeron would have been a socket 370 coppermine based.  it had no heat spreader, 100mhz fsb and 128k of cache.  no suprise it ran at 1.2 or better... most celerons of that era were fine running up that high.

508469[/snapback]

I knew it sounded kinda funny when I wrote it. That was a while back and I mixed them up. Thanks for the clarification. :)