Building A Computer For G/f

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not trying to be a fanboy, I was just pointing out that the reason for picking Intel (more reliable) is bogus.  The Intel propoganda makes many people think that way.  I have owned both.  Honestly, if you are going to go dual core, Intel is cheaper right now.  It is all about bang for the buck.  If I was going to build a multimedia mahine and encode dvd and music, I'd go with Intel; that is where they shine.  I'm a gamer though.

492004[/snapback]

exactly dude amd = great for gaming .Intel = good for gaming and probable better for multimedia hence the reason why he considered intel over amd as a better choice for his girlfriends needs ............thats all hes saying

BTW.... my next rig will definatly be a AMd rig ..can't wait :D

LMAO this is hilarious...the poor guy is simply asking for advice and the amd fan boys are pissed at him for not considering an amd setup lol, now don't get me wrong ,amd is definatly a better solution for gaming, but intel is no classy lady either! I have my rig oc at 3.2 and have two other configuration  in my bios set to 3.4 and 3.5 respectivly, with better ram I'm sure I could go higher...anyway dude don't let the fan boys deter you from an intel based computer after all its your money...peace

492002[/snapback]

thx dude, and true

Guest Flashstar

I think that you are an Intel fanboy! :D

I mean just by looking at the Pentium 4 in your sig...

amd's cool and quiet DOES reduce speed, just when your not using your cpu much (word processing), not just when it overheats. Also reduces voltage, thus creating less heat.

Yeah but as my other thread points out, yes it does prevent heat, but it doesnt lower the mghz to prevent the CPU from Burning up

yes although it does lower the temps when not using the cpu, which is good too, but it doesnt lower the temps if it's overheating

they are too different things, both working well

I just opt for Intels thermal throttling,

and Yes I do like intels more than amd's obviously

but my icon isnt of amd exploding in a pit of fire

so I like both, I just like intel more?

i dont see the big deal?

Well i havent seen anyone mention this, but a 2600+ skt 754 sempron seems to be a GREAT choice, they are cheap (under $80 last time i checked) and can take a Celeron D anyday. If you look in my sig you'll notice that I have a few various CPU models sitting around here for use. ive also built a few sempron based systems, and use a 2.8 P4 w/HT at work for video editing, I will say the 2.8 can take my 3000+ SLIGHTLY in the compresion of the videos, but the cost/performance ratio speaks for it'self, around $150 for my CPU, $170ish for the P4. Now considering in all other apps my CPU meets or excedes the P4, i see no reason to go with the P4 (this is actually due to the heat more-so that price).

I like both AMD and intel, but i honestly think that the AMD way is the better way for you to go, that is unless MasterRex862 is offering one HELL of a deal on that celly D....that reminds me....maybe i should ask him what he wants for it :lol: (PM me if you dont sell it here :D)

So anyway If i was building it i would get a nice skt 754 setup with either a 2600+/2800+ sempron (anyhting over then go skt 939 with a 3000+) get 512mb of cheap PC 3200 ram get here an 80GB HDD, get whatever kind of burner she needs, prob a CD-RW/DVD-ROM combo would be nice. get a lower end vid card and go from there.

Another option for motherboard/case/PSU is to look into a shuttle XPC, they are cool and small, that makes a great combination for a small dorm room. The ICE coolers shuttle uses will keep the CPU cool EXPECIALLY if you dont OC, you could even set her up with a light OC, make sure it's 100% stable though (last part applies to ALL setups) the ONLY problem with the shuttle is they USUALLY cost more than what someone wants to spend on a budget PC. I personally loved using my old 2.66 P4 based XPC. heck if i sell the XPC there's a high chance ill get a newer more upto date one within a short time frame.

Ok tha's alot of rambling bc iof me leaving SEVERAL tiems in the typing, but hope you get soemthign from it

Shuttles huh?

yeah ive heard they have really reliable mobo's I was actually considering those, but I just think the Small cases arent as good, because she'll want tp upgrade(with my help obviously LOL) so those make it hard, plus microatx etc I am just not to fond of, altho shuttles do seem to build good ones, if she wants a small comp then I will def take your advice

and Ill considr your amd processor option that seems pretty good

like I said, I think AMD is the cheaper route, of course I havnt compared the two, but for $450 I can put together a Sempron 2800+ with 1 Gig of Corsair XMS (non TCCD[2-3-3-6 timings]) 80GB Sata drive and a PCI-E 6600. however this doesnt include a PSU. nor does it include a case.

hey, its her computer, ask her what she would prefer.