Car Audio Setup Help

asus

bose = paper cone. bad for bass and without a comparable tweeter to go along (they have full-range speakers though). they have the best return and acoustic sound possible but the highs and lows... are a no go.

without some even more expensive full range speakers and some subs you will not be impressed unless you are all about "clarity"

i may have even posted on this topic before but i skipped to the end and saw BOSE in large font so i thought id comment. wacokid give him some info dont just tell him yes/no. and where did you get your info as well? etc.

and fxxp they do that because its the popular speaker. i would say if you listen to jazz, soft rock, country, classical bose is friggin awesome and does beat all but for other genres id have to agree with waco, not about a particular selection but about "not bose"

Edited by Onyks

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest FxXP

I havn't come across a car manufacturer that makes their own decks or speakers, ever.

Ford out-sources to JVC, GM to AC Delco, Daimler-Chrysler to Infinity, the list goes on.

People buy speakers for clarity, hence why sub-woofers were made to handle bass. Yes, I would choose something else for a sub.

I'm not debating this.

I havn't come across a car manufacturer that makes their own decks or speakers, ever.

Ford out-sources to JVC, GM to AC Delco, Daimler-Chrysler to Infinity, the list goes on.

I'm not debating this.

481055[/snapback]

Who said they didn't? :blink:

EDIT: I like your little shot at my headunit...yeah yeah yeah, I should change it out, but just so you know, BB never carried that model, it was their flagship at the time. I know that doesn't mean much with it being a Jensen and all, but all it's doing is acting as a preamp anyway. :P

EDIT AGAIN: Okay, I'm really really tired now and I have to be awake in about 4 hours, but I will probably come back later today and try to help out the thread starter as much as I can. I'm just too tired to care right now, and my previous posts will probably make me sound like an azz when I read them when I get back in later today. I apologize ahead of time before anyone gets pissed.

EDIT ONE LAST TIME: I just scrolled down after editing again. Somehow those JBL subs have survived me bashing on them for near 7 years now, full on. They've made it through a front windshield cracking, seals on the rear window blowing out, windows popping out of their frames from pressure, and the rearview mirror breaking off multiple times. I luvv them to death. G'night folks. :sleep:

Edited by Thewacokid

I'm not debating this.

481055[/snapback]

dont, as far as i know you are very right sir

and i atm have a sony deck that is great along with some xplode and pioneer speakers. they are no better because i am poor but i am impressed with em :)

and to 94camaro(smart guy) or anyone got any idea what the capacitor-things called "speaker-savers" are. i took them out of a best buy installed system and it improved the quality of the music so i was just curious.

i worked at bestbuy for quite awhile in home theatre not car audio so i know about speakers... but not car-specifics. like amps are sooo not set up the same so i got no friggin clue what to reccomend there.

Guest FxXP

Well, if you have to operate on a budget, you have to live with what you can get at the time. I've just had bad experiences with Jensen in the past and JBL wasn't exactly kind to me either.

481055[/snapback]

It makes sense for car manufacturers to outsource that kind of thing really doesn't it.

I think the best job of this is done by Lexus, with their Mark Levinson set ups.

hmm if i remeber correctly jbl=polk audio if that helps anything? and yea jbl is deep and good at being deep but i would say that is for an old caddy with rattling doors/glass :). its not the prettiest sound but its a loud deep sound

and to 94camaro(smart guy) or anyone got any idea what the capacitor-things called "speaker-savers" are. i took them out of a best buy installed system and it improved the quality of the music so i was just curious.

God I need to go to sleep, but one last post hopefully.

"Speaker savers" are also referred to as "bass blockers." They are just a small electrolytic cap that is selected based on the desired frequency and the impedance of the speaker. It acts basically as a 6 db/octave high pass filter, slowly rolling off the amount of bass that actually gets to the speaker as the frequencies go down. They are very effective at keeping small speakers from distorting when bass is thrown their way. I think Crutchfield still sells them, though if you look around online you can find calculators that will tell you what size cap you need for a particular application.

Okay...now nobody post for a few minutes so I can head to sleep. I can't resist the urge to keep posting when someone responds. :lol:

EDIT: JBL has never been known as a SPL brand though, so I don't know where you got that impression of the brand. Most of JBL's stuff is oriented towards sounding good, with output taking the back seat. Maybe you heard a couple bad setups? I bet if you spent one minute in my car I could change your whole view on those subs. ;)

Edited by Thewacokid

God I need to go to sleep, but one last post hopefully.

"Speaker savers" are also referred to as "bass blockers."  They are just a small electrolytic cap that is selected based on the desired frequency and the impedance of the speaker.  It acts basically as a 6 db/octave high pass filter, slowly rolling off the amount of bass that actually gets to the speaker as the frequencies go down.  They are very effective at keeping small speakers from distorting when bass is thrown their way.  I think Crutchfield still sells them, though if you look around online you can find calculators that will tell you what size cap you need for a particular application.

Okay...now nobody post for a few minutes so I can head to sleep.  I can't resist the urge to keep posting when someone responds. :lol:

481063[/snapback]

so speaker savers, unless you are a retard, are pointless lol

best buy still sells em but i guess its too avoid "you busted my speakers" claims

thanks waco

oh and BOSE ROCKS!!!

haha j/k goto bed foo

so speaker savers, unless you are a retard, are pointless lol

best buy still sells em but i guess its too avoid "you busted my speakers" claims

thanks waco

Actually no they have good uses. If you have a deck that doesn't let you fade the bass out from the front and not the back, then you can use bass blockers on the front speakers to keep them from distorting while letting the back speakers (which are typically bigger) play all the bass. I had my stereo set up like this when all I had was a reciever and 4 speakers. The bass blockers kept the fronts clean, and let the back speakers handle all the bass.

EDIT: I don't need anything like that now since I got an active crossover to split the signal to my amps...that was one of the best investments I made to my stereo since it let me add the midbasses in my doors. Gah, I'm rambling now. Goodnight for *hopefully* the final time. :lol:

Edited by Thewacokid

Actually no they have good uses.  If you have a deck that doesn't let you fade the bass out from the front and not the back, then you can use bass blockers on the front speakers to keep them from distorting while letting the back speakers (which are typically bigger) play all the bass.  I had my stereo set up like this when all I had was a reciever and 4 speakers.  The bass blockers kept the fronts clean, and let the back speakers handle all the bass.

EDIT:  I don't need anything like that now since I got an active crossover to split the signal to my amps...that was one of the best investments I made to my stereo since it let me add the midbasses in my doors.  Gah, I'm rambling now.  Goodnight for *hopefully* the final time. :lol:

481067[/snapback]

your still awake arent you?

and to not hijack... i would go with pioneer speakers if on a budget im not tooo impressed by the sonys

your still awake arent you?

and to not hijack... i would go with pioneer speakers if on a budget im not tooo impressed by the sonys

481076[/snapback]

Yeah Pioneer's are pretty decent for the price, Blaupunkt are also VERY good for the price. I used to run 4x6 blaupunkts in the front with 6x9's in the rear off just headunit power, and those speakers really impressed me!