Car Audio Setup Help

asus

well.. are thoes subs any good? IM sure they are :-)... now, im assuming there is a lead that goes out from the deck and to an imput to an amp, then output's to the speekers through there connectinos.. right..

.. i am getting excited lol.. wow..

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bud, don't take my word on it, ask anyone else if that setup is good.

As for hooking it up:

There will be pre-amp outs on the back of the CD player. This is where you plug the RCA patch cord in. The other end of the cord goes to the amp. You will need to run power and a turn on lead as well to the amp. The other end of the amp will have connections for speaker wire. You run the speaker wire from the amp to the speakers.

The RCA patch cord should be ran opposite side of the power and turn on lead. This leads to less noise interferance.

The power wire is ran from the battery to the amp, or to the cap then to the amp. The turn on lead will run from the back of the CD player to the amp. After all those are hooked up, you will need to run a ground wire from the amp to somewhere close to the amp. Make sure there is no paint or rust under the terminal and make sure it tight and secure. Will also help if the screw and terminal are covered will clear nail polish to stop it from corroiding.

The turn on wire is usually small gauge wire round about 18-20, no need for bigger gauge. The power wire should be the biggest you can get, 8 gauge or lower. The smaller the wire the worse the power flow, kinda like pushing cannonballs through garden hoses.

I hope this helps you bud.

haha.. i like your analogy lol.. ok.. so.. i will need to do some cutting im assuming.. now.. the power... the power comes from the battery.. so i am guessing it just kinda slips on the top of the battery or something like that.. now..

if i have that capacitor.. the power first goes to the capacitor then to the amp right.

were do you recommend that i put the amp.. i was thinking that i could get away with sticking it under the passenger seat or something.. someone told me they get really HOT.. so.. im not really sure that is the best idea..

now.. the ground wire.. that just gets put on a mettle part of the frame.. how would you usually run that.. just drill a hole in your floor, run the wire through and seal the hole.. ??

thanks for all your help BTW... i need every bit of it

Hey, if you're looking for a cheap deck that's still pretty good, I've got a Pioneer DEH2100. Works fine. Comes with the bracket and wiring harness. 45x4 watt max. I'll take a pic if you're interested. It's got the same specs as the DEH1700

ok well.. maybe i will look into that.. i dont need mp3.. it would just be nice.. but anyway.. ya.. i am saving up.. i got some money comming soon that should do it..

but COOL COOL.. i cant wait..

This is how i have mine set up and i suggest you do this:

1. put the amp in the trunk!

2. Put the RCA's and turn on lead through the right side of the car and the Power cable through the left side of the car because i had them on the same side once, let me tell you how much distortion came out lol, IT WAS HORRIBLE!

3. If you are like me and have more than 1 sub, get more than 8 gauge cable, and it also goes by wattage, crutchfield has a good wattage system when you buy the amp kits, i have 0 gauge which is like a freakin PVC pipe. it plugs right onto the negative terminal on the battery.

4. the ground wire when the amp is in the trunk, all you have to do is screw it on to part of the metal chassis.

which amp/sub are you getting? i would get a sub preenclosed in a box but thats my opinion. you can pick up a AW1000Q AudioBahn sub on ebay for around $40 and on crutchfield is like $130 and thats what i have. i love em and in my opinion i think they are better than Kicker because ive tried both. from my expierence, Profile is the lower-end of the amps lol, get a audiobahn or a kicker amp, even a Infinity is ok, STAY AWAY FROM SONY!

this amp is great for a AW1000Q:

http://www.cardomain.com/item/ABNA18001DT

Edited by GuJuMaN89

Not to correct you, but the power wire goes on the positive battery terminal.

It dosen't matter which side you run the cables, just make sure you split them. You will want the amp as close to the subs as possible.

If you need anything else just ask.

ya.. that seams like a good way to set it up..

now.. do you have to drill holes to run the wires.. or do you run them under the car??.. i really dont know.. do you run them through the car.. ?? i guess it can be preffrence.. but i want to know the best way.. BTW.. that amp is SICK ..

oh yea thanks for the correction, no u dont drill holes. where the door shuts at the car, there should be a door sill, which is where u put your foot when you get into your car, you pull those off and run the cables there, if ur back seats dont fold down, they you going to have to take the bottom seat of and then the back seat off, that is what i had to do :/

And that audiobahn amp has the price to go with it. ;)

I looked over what fanatic posted and that would make a good system. That is about the best you can do for the money without hacking up your car. ;)

The one thing that bothers me, is the front speakers are rated up to 20W rms, and that deck will do 22W rms. Anyone know if that will be a problem, unless the sound is cranked way up? I've never run into this, so I'm not really sure if its a big deal...

As for the profile amp, that is not bad, especially for the cost. It will be fine for a starter system. If you feel the need to upgrade later, it won't be hard to do.

Edit: Just remembered, if you're not sure about the year of the car, find out what the tenth digit of the VIN is. If it is a "P", the car is a 93. "R" will be 94. From what I found, it shouldn't really make a difference on what will fit easily, but it doesn't hurt to be sure.