The Gamer Hdd

Encrypted_God

I have also been checking up on new hard drives to buy and i found a place where they benchmarked the Maxtor DiamondMax 10 with the 74gb Raptor and both Raid0...and surpisingly it turned out the the DiamondMax 10 with NCQ weren't much slower than Raptors and in a few tests actually outperformed them..

Too bad i forgot where I found that site tho, but after looking at the site I think ill go with 2 new 300gb diamondmaxs for 143 a piece rather than 175 for 74gb...

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SCSI is the best, but also the more complicated install, I think youll need some kind of host adapter if the motherboard doesn't have a connector for it.

So...seeings that I got two of THESE I will be using one for the system disk and the other for storage. I have not Raided yet but...Maybe I am reluctant, or scared. I haven't done this before. Help?

524452[/snapback]

raid is the simplest thing to setup because the computer does all the work for you. they're both jumpered the same and it doesn't matter which one is connected in sata1 and which in sata2...even after you already set it up and take it apart. Check your mobo for how it handles raid as it should tell u what to do to set it up I believe. After that, once in windows you never realize it (excpet that in WinXP for me, it has them listed in the taskbar "safely remove hardware" icon for whatever reason....never tried disconnecting one, and i don't want to. lol).

Also, just so you know, it's impossible to use one as a system disk and another for storage if you're Raiding. Raid-0 will split all files between the two harddrives.

Guest Flashstar

The only benifit of scsi is that most of the 15k rpm drives use it rather than sata.

DO NOT GO SCSI AND DO NOT USE MAXTOR DRIVES!!!!!!!!!

pardon the caps

Now, listen to me and get 2 seagate 7200.8 drives and put them in raid 0.

EDIT: plz... :rolleyes:

He asked what the best was, and the truth is SCSI, sure satas are great in raid, but the best is SCSI regaurdless of price. We told him the truth and now its the war of opinions. pfft.

He asked what the best was, and the truth is SCSI, sure satas are great in raid, but the best is SCSI regaurdless of price.  We told him the truth and now its the war of opinions.  pfft.

524901[/snapback]

exactly. if price was out of the equation, SCSI is always the answer. so if you want the BEST then that's what you need. But if you want to be practical, scsi isn't worth the added dough. Edited by ClayMeow

Lol, thank you all...nubs with their "7.2k rpm Raptors are the fastest drives out there and will make everything load so much quicker!!!"

SCSI is a pain to get going and definitly not worth the expense of time and money for the average person, but they are undisputably the best out there.

no scsi is for server applications and is not only outdated and slow now but much more expensive. A pair of sata II drives in raid will whip up or scsi

And why do you think that servers that have HD access 24/7 in extremely crucial environments use SCSI drives?

Was sitting here reading the replies and I can't help but think that the bottom line here is this; Everybody has there opinions and everybody is different. Every User is different in every aspect when it comes to there Rig. Yes, I am NOT a professional when it comes knowledge of the compluter. But I do know this, I love to learn about my rig. I read, hear, listen to others what they did, or doing with there setup. call me a Kiss a$$ but being a member of this site is prolly best thing I had signed up for (other than signing up for CPU and getting there monthly Mag in the mail) Yes, I still consider myself a newbie, and I do have to admit. Some questions I post here are Stupid. Anyways, let me get up from this couch and I thank all of the Head Shrinks out there that help me. Come to think of it, I think I changed the flow of this String. As we were.... lol

A good 7200rpm 8-16MB cache drive will be all you'll need. Game loading perfroamnce acctually has a hell of alot more to do with CPU than with hard drive speed and the top 7200 rpm drives come very close to raptors anyway (higher data density makes up for alot).

Just get a HDD with NCQ (make sure your mobo can handle it). Don't go with raptors. It is retarded to spend so much money for 36.x gb and 72.x gb. I bought some WD 160gb HDD for $60 (it is pata) and I am happy with it. To me, loading some huge map 1-1.5 seconds faster doesn't justify the cost.