Raven

:foldon:

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Retail:

Pro's:

- Keeps processor safe from damage(ex. bent pins)

- Comes with a nice AMD box for you to cherish + a sexy AMD sticker+cpu heatsink

Con's:

- A little more expensive than OEM

- Takes longer to open boxn (Can be frustrating for the less patient ones)

OEM

Pro's:

- A little cheaper than Retail

Con's

- Bare minimum packaging (expect bubble wrap over processor. That's about it)

- Might risk damaging CPU because of packaging without box.

- Processor only (No cpu heatsink, No sexy AMD sticker, and no manual)

Retail version is worth the extra money. Why buy a very expensive processor if your not going to spend that little extra to prevent damage to cpu. Might as well. It's only a few bucks more. It's like car insurance in a way. The only things i buy oem are HD's and videocards because they don't really have as fragile parts as a processor has.

to me it come down to how much cooling you want. If the stock cooler is going to be fine. then you might as well get retail, because by the time you buy anyhalf descent, middle of the road heatsink you've made up for the $20-$30 you saved with an OEM.

Generally when i build computers for other people who want be overclocking and don't want a lot of noise i buy Retail. For myself i useually get OEM because i'll end up buying a 3rd party heatsink anyway.

Retail:

Pro's:

- Keeps processor safe from damage(ex. bent pins)

- Comes with a nice AMD box for you to cherish + a sexy AMD sticker+cpu heatsink

Con's:

- A little more expensive than OEM

- Takes longer to open boxn (Can be frustrating for the less patient ones)

OEM

Pro's:

- A little cheaper than Retail

Con's

- Bare minimum packaging (expect bubble wrap over processor. That's about it)

- Might risk damaging CPU because of packaging without box.

- Processor only (No cpu heatsink, No sexy AMD sticker, and no manual)

Retail version is worth the extra money. Why buy a very expensive processor if your not going to spend that little extra to prevent damage to cpu. Might as well. It's only a few bucks more. It's like car insurance in a way. The only things i buy oem are HD's and videocards because they don't really have as fragile parts as a processor has.

433242[/snapback]

You forgot the most important part, retial = 3ry warranty OEM = 1yr. That's why i spent the extra few $$$ to get the retail version of my 3000+

Guest Raven65

My dilemma is this. I want the warranty. BUT if I fry the chip because I OC it, the warranty will be void anyway. Right? Wrong?

Raven

:foldon:

Yea i didn't put that in because I wasn't sure if the warranties were any different between the two versions. Now I know though.

Oh, also, i want to point out that I have never bought a OEM processor. Why risk damage done to your investment if your gonna spend big bucks on a processor that depends on the functioning of a pc?? Is packaging not worth that extra money????? I'd have to say it is. Like i said, i do buy oem products but definately not processors because they can be more easily damaged than any other component. (Bent pins).

If you want to risk your investment , then get the OEM version. I'm telling ya man, I wouldn't risk getting a $4 discount on a OEM version over a relatively important peice of hardware that you'll be using for 4+ years.