Phase Change Help

airman

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At 121 watts you are generating 415 BTU/hr. About a 1/4 horsepower comp is all you need. But that is depending on the final temp you are trying to reach, The lower the temp the more inefficent the comp becomes. 1/4 shold get you down to -20f. 1/3 hp will get down to -40f. Also the horsepower cannot be figured out from the physical size of the compressor.

R134a, 502,404a, mp66,hp80. the great thing about refrigerants is there are more than one. You can even us r22 but your suction will be 29.5 inches of vac. Very tough on compressors. R134a is probably the easiest to get. Goto an auto parts house, advance auto, NAPA. Buy the 1 pound cans, do not get the retrofit kits. You just want the refrigerant. Make sure your compressors have POE oil. AKA Polyoil ester oil.

lmao, we got about 3, um, canisters? (or whatever the containers are called) of r22 refrigerant in our garage, along with some other refrigerants :) (my dad is in the AC business, so he has the liscence to carry this kinda stuff)

is R134a a good one? i mean it is the one that is already in the compressors im looking at buying off my old boss. is it effective enuff for CPU cooling (sub -50's is what im thinking good temps should be)

phase change cooling is not worth it.. you would be risking alot with a home made system.. because there is no protection if something goes wrong lol

"Phase Change Cooling is not worth it"

False, homemade kits ARE risky, but if you know what you're doing, you can get some AWESOME temps for under 400, even 300, which literally is some nice bang-for-buck standings.

yeh, i think it would be wroth it, i mean, i have had alot of ppl tell me, phase change is nto a godo idea your first time....if icant do it the first time then how the heck am i soposed to do it? ofocurse i will run it not on my main system at first so that i know what im am doing ebfore i move it over ( or rather move the case over) but i think it would be a fun experience to have, even if i fail in making one....

Homemade systems are fine. just make sure to pressure test it. as for what gas to use most r134a compressors aka a low pressure gas will readily accept propane, r404a and the like. r134a simply isnt so great. If you are using propane make sure to have a extra large filter dryer.

my question about what refrigerant that is with was directed towards ultralow due to the fact that differant refrigerants pull out differant temps@differant btus. iam assuming you are talking about r134a because i can get around -40~ loaded with my trusty orange bottle (r404a)

r22 is also a nice alternative. you should have a slightly larger condensor though due to its massive heat capacity. propane is still the easiest to get though. it may be flammible but if your careful everything should be cool ;) .

btw i can build custom setups for people, pm me if your interested :rolleyes:

Edited by jsu