Phase Change Help

airman

Well...I'm REALLY looking into doing a singlestage...something simple, i found this guide here

(http://www.vr-zone.com/index.cgi?i=714&s=1)

but it's really not THAT helpful. i'm still a little confused on HOW you put the refridgerant in, what refridgerant is which, what size compressor is needed, where i can GET these parts (drier/etc) it's not really that in depth. i wanna spend hours reading :)

pros please help!

i DID use google, and didn't come up with many good suggestions.

pros please help!

Edited by airman

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that's why in the description it says "calling all pros" :lol:

427218[/snapback]

:withstupid: lol, meh im just leechin on the post :lol: because i would like to learn how to setup my own custom phase change from some spare parts to experiment with. :lol:

I would throw nuc or jsu a pm, they are about the only ones that have made a system on this forum. I can help a little, but I'm in the learning process on Phasecharge. I would also check out the XS forums. They have a lot of people into phase there.

I'll try and give as much general info as I can, and then you can ask specific questions.

In order to make a custom PS system, you'll need these componets:

- Compressor (1/4 to 1/2HP will be fine for first time)

- Condensor

- Filter / drier

- Evap and enclosure

- Copper tube

- Cap tube (cap tube length varies from system to system)

- Suction line

- Schrader valves

- refrig gas

Now, it's quite easy to run the piping and get the flow. You'll want to arrange things like this:

Compressor discharge -> Condensor in -> Condensor out -> Filter/Drier -> Cap tube -> Evap -> Suction line running to suction on the compressor.

You'll need at least 2 schrader valves installed. One in the high side, one on the low side. It's thru these schrader valves that you'll add refrigerant.

Unless you have a HVAC license, you will be very limited as to what gases you can use. R290 (propane) is very popular and cheap, and some use CO2. You could always build the system and have a HVAC shop charge it...that way you could use r404a, r507a, r22, etc...

You can buy these parts from quite a few places. Ebay is a good source of compressors, and there are a few people on the net that can sell you the filters, cap tube, condensors, etc...

Now, there is alot more to it than this, I just tried to give a summary.

Edited by Nuclear

think abotu this, a car airconditioning system works the same way, except the cold air is blown through your car, not piped to a block mounted on your processor. im actually workign on my own Phasechange system at the moment, its going slowly cause i got bigger thigns on my plate at the moment, but none the less it is comeing along, ill post some pics when i am done.

Sorry, iddnt see this thread, you can pic up a nice 1/5hp compressor off of ebay. pm me and ill give you the link. propane can be used as a refrigerant and is pretty good -42c~ . As for putting the refrigerant into the system you use gauges/manifold. make sure you get the ones with 1/4in connections. you attach something called a schrader valve onto both sides of the systems (Hp and LP). a schrader valve closes automaticalky when you take your guages off. i didnt realy read this thread just sortov skimmed it so let me know if there is anything else you need.