To You Heatercore Users Out There

The_WRATH

alright i just got my new heatercore in the mail today, paid $10.50 + $4.99 shipping for it, so that was good, ebay of course

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...TRK%3AMEWN%3AIT

it measures to about 10in long, 6in wide, and 2 in thick

when compared to a heatercore from 2fresh at

http://www.freshcooling.com

his is about 3in longer,

even though 120mm fans are kind of small for these heatercores, is that all it really needs? 2x120mm fans?

i just got 2 new 120mm fans that have about 73cfm and 30dba

http://www.akida.net/.sc/ms/dd/10795063651...84%2520pin%2529

pretty good

next question, does anyone no how i can cut off those nozzles and add fittings like 2fresh does with his radiators? id have to take it somewhere to cut the copper/bras nozzles off, someone no if i can do that at home depot or something? i might need like a hack saw i think.

and another thing, what kind of pumps are you guys running with your heatercores, ehiem i bet, do your pumps have at least a 6ft powerhead to pump? cause when i hooked it up to my 1ft powerhead pump BARELY any water came out the other nozzle, but when i ran the garden hose through it, water gushed out the other nozzle.

another problem, one nozzle measures 5/8" OD and one nozzle 3/4" OD so thats pretty stupid. i might have to get some fittings maybe i can cut some of the nozzle off

any ideas anyone?

i read that some people actually stretch their 1/2" tubing over the 3/4" one, the other you should be able to take it to home depot and figure out where to cut it off and what size adaptors you need and solder them on, although, if it was me, i think i would do both to match, might affect flow if you dont

what is a power head?

i say you find adapters for them. they're around, i promise.

and gravy...the lead is how high the pump can PUMP water. for example...a 6' lead pump, theoretically would be able to pump water 6' in the air.

yuup

yeah i might cut em down to match the hose size, but then how the heck am i gonna cut this stupid copper/brass nozzle, its not like i can get a butter knife and cut it lol

thats crazy, stretching 1/2 over 3/4?! must be some flexible tubing,

yuup

yeah i might cut em down to match the hose size, but then how the heck am i gonna cut this stupid copper/brass nozzle, its not like i can get a butter knife and cut it lol

thats crazy, stretching 1/2 over 3/4?! must be some flexible tubing,

409468[/snapback]

Um- use the mini tube cutter to cut the old barbs off and then solder on a new set.

Im not using a double heatercore but my L35 has 6+ ft (probably a good 7) of head and rushes the water through the core. Like everyone has said, you're going to have to cut off the current valves and solder new ones on. OR you can just get 3/4 tubing and convert it to 1/2, if you have a strong enough pump, the converter wouldnt make any difference what-so-ever.

And airman, you're right about the head, but your ANSWER is wrong ;) He asked what a power head is. A powerhead is basically an in-line pump made for aquariums (usually can't be used submersiblebecause it got barbs built into it). Powerheads generally arent used in w/c set-ups unless its specs are outstanding. If I were you, Id get at least a Hydor L35 or an Eheim 1260, depending on the rest of ur set-up.

for mine I went to home depot and found some 1/2 inch brass barbs. I took a torch and solder and soldered them onto the existing pipes. didnt have to cut or anything. no leaks for 6 months now. works good. you may want to make a shroud for your fans to get a little better flow from fans.

Proper way, Desolder w/ a torch then solder your fittings on. OR use a tap and die set to thread the holes and screw in the fittings. #1-cheap, but a little harder. #2 easier, but more expensive

BUT, the OCC way of doing it is...hacksaw. :P j/k You COULD use the tube cutter, but that won't cut out the tubing still INSIDE the core, around the edges. The cutters in the link are made to cut straight tubing, pre-installation. And you'd still have to take a torch or some sort of flat files(rasp file) to get rid of all the solder.

The VIA pumps are OK if you're on a VERY modest budget. I've never owned one, but from what I hear, they ARE a bit noisy(but a tornado isn't?) and don't last quite as long. But it should last you long enough to save for an Eheim or Hydor, then just ride the VIA til it dies.

his is about 3in longer,

heh!

Edited by Pent uP Rage