Xp-120 On An Msi K8n Neo2

Alright, My CPU temps are way too high... that is if MBM is reading right, but even if they're not, I want some headroom for overclocking and I want to fit an XP-120 on... But the problem is everyone says you have to bend capacitors to get it in, and with this expensive board I can just picture myself breaking one off... Then I have no computer until I can afford another, which will be a while... So is it really hard to get it on and how far do you have to bend the capacitor? I want to do this, but if I risk a high chance of damaging my board I really don't want to. MBM is showing 63*C after playing a game and thats not very good. So is it worth the risk to try and put the XP-120 on or not?

Edit: I'm pretty sure MBM is off by a lot... I restarted right after gaming and Mobo temp says 43* and I don't think it could drop that much in the time it takes to restart.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my 3200 drops from ~49 load to ~35 idle in about 2 seconds...

391176[/snapback]

I wouldn't be happy either bending a cap or two on that board,

it always depends how much you have to bend it as you said, looks like there's

only one way to find out :(

And for the temp drop, silicone chips or what ever ceramics these are made,

they can drop temp so fast that (as stated) you wont beleive it, they're made that way,

when load temps drops the chip must follow as fast as it can, so with a restart

it goes way down :)

Wonder why they dont use that ceramic matter they use on the shuttle belly,

i've seen a piece of that heated up white hot and the guy just picked it up with his

bare hand, and it cooled in around 4 seconds

thinking2.gif

Edited by kobalt

ok heres the deal on the k8n neo2 and the xp-120. you have to install it with the heat pipes down, cos otherwise your graphics card wont fit in. you have to bend the 2 capacitors at the bottom left hand side of the mounting block. as they aren't fitted flush to the board, this is possible (or at least it was on mine). all you have to do is bend them really gently towards the bottom of the board until the bottom edge is just touching the board. then it fits.

if your really careful you can do it. just don't rush bending the capacitors.

yeah, ive a XP120 on mine and ill tell ya what a squeeze, fitting the XP120 is no problem mate, i didnt bend a thing on my board, the temps are about right too, thats what mine where exactly. but having an XP120 on a neo 2 and a cooler for you graphics is a tight squeeze