Pci-e

i was wondering...

first of all when the SLI boards are set for release...

and second if pci-e is worth it

i know its double the bandwidth of 8x AGP but will i actually notice a difference in game? for example would the GeForce 6800 GT AGP be that much faster than the PCI-E version? and would SLI make any kind of real-world difference right now?

A few years ago AGP8x was too much and not really diffrent from AGP4x. But, with my Geforce4 440MX (AGP8x) i noticed about 10% diffrence when switching to AGP8x mobo from AGP4x mobo. I think its worth it, you would probably see a little diffrence with newer cards (like the one you mentioned).

PCI-E doesnt even gives an 6800Ultra or an X850XT PE an boost of 5%...kinda crappy actually :huh: .

SLI gives about 85% more preformance in GPU based benchmarks, 2 6600GT's are faster than an single 6800GT.

This topic gets covered alot, but I'll give you my .10 on the subject.

We don't use the bandwidth that 8x AGP provides now, so PCI-E's 16x speed is no more than a selling point. We won't the extra bandwidth for a few years, and some game developers don't see a future needing all of it. We will be forced to go PCI-E eventually, I just hope by then their is a better incentive to switch.

SLI is a good thing on paper, but I think that's about it. In order to reap the benefits from a SLI setup, you'll need an AMD FX to keep them from getting bottle-necked. They will be hard to cool, and OC'ing on them has yet to be determined.

Any current 6800U, 6800GT, X800XT, or X800Pro will play any game out right now without any problems or hiccups, why would you ever need 2 of them? Unless you are a 24/7 bencher going after WRs, I see no need for it.

the other poorly known fact about PCI-express is that it is NOT, I say again NOT really twice the badwidth of AGP. there is only one difference between 8x AGP and 16x PCI-express. the AGP bus is not capable of sending and recieving data at the same time. in order to recieve data back from the graphics card it has to stop sending. PCI-expess can do both at the same time (8x send 8x recieve some how equals 16x in some body's eyes).

on the SLI subject. don't even get me started on that one :( $600 video card x2, $800 cpu (fx 55), $200 mobo, $300 in ram, $100 psu, $800 in cooling. NO faster than my opteron @ 3ghz with an x800 xt pe as far as stuff I can see. that system is going to be donated to a church to use in thier auction this year. should fetch a pretty penny from those who don't know crap about computers.

the other poorly known fact about PCI-express is that it is NOT, I say again NOT really twice the badwidth of AGP. there is only one difference between 8x AGP and 16x PCI-express. the AGP bus is not capable of sending and recieving data at the same time. in order to recieve data back from the graphics card it has to stop sending. PCI-expess can do both at the same time (8x send 8x recieve some how equals 16x in some body's eyes).

on the SLI subject. don't even get me started on that one :( $600 video card x2, $800 cpu (fx 55), $200 mobo, $300 in ram, $100 psu, $800 in cooling. NO faster than my opteron @ 3ghz with an x800 xt pe as far as stuff I can see. that system is going to be donated to a church to use in thier auction this year. should fetch a pretty penny from those who don't know crap about computers.

But the whole PCI-E thing about sending in and out at the same time it just like DDR. I say its worth it just for furture upgradability.

how often does your video card (an OUTPUT device) send anything back to the CPU? a little tick here and there just to say it's still there, but nothing more. it does not need anywhere near the badwidth the card uses for output.