Net Gear Wireless Network

Duke Atreides

Several weeks ago I bought a dead laptop for $200 (Sony Vaio 1 Gig Celery) and after some fixing and patching of hardware abuse inside the case it works and my wife has a laptop for school.

The problem is I have a network set up that essentially has my comp on it, and a 100' cat cable in the attic that runs into my daughter's room for working on other comps.

I promised her I would remedy this before I get my AMD 64 Mobo and proc.

Comp USA has Netgear wireless routers and Ethernet adapters on big sale for $40 for the router and $30 for the adapters. My home is not that large so uber signal range is not important.

I have seen negative feedback on the Belkin wireless equip, but I have looked around, could someon tell me what experience have you had or heard of with the Net Gear equip?

I would say get Linksys, it is great. I never lose signal. On the topic, I have heard bad reviews on D-Link. My friends has a Netgear router and his comp loses connection at least once a day where they have to reset the router to get connection again. His cumputer is across the hall from the router.

I've heard the best from Linksys wireless. My shop carries SMC wireless routers and cards and they seem to work pretty well. I have seen it to be far more imprtant to have a "high power" adapter in the system, cardbus for that laptop I'd assume, than it is to worry about the best router.

I have a netgear 802.11b wireless one (can look up model # if you want) and it was working fine for about 1 week then it just quit working, it wouldnt even work with the internet. i was able to connect to other computers when wired but internet stopped working and i just gave up and bought a linksys