I Want To Use My Webserver As Storage

mantonr

I have just created a webserver using apache and some other gear, it is all set up and works fine, i can download from my machine when i am using other machines.

I was wondering is it possble for me to upload files to my file server from other locations so that i can use it as a sort of storage facillity. It would also come in handy as i wouldn't have to use disks and stuff anymore when i want some work from school or something.

Anybody know how, or if, i can do this?

Cheers

i think it's something along the line of

open up command prompt (obviously)

type in FTP press return

it'll then look like this

ftp>

make it look like this

ftp> open "yourwebserver" (with out the quotation marks)

press return it'll then say

connected to yourwebserver

some numbers and stuff.

User<yourwebserver:<<none>>:

thats where you enter your username

then the next step it'll ask you for your password make sure to get it right because it won't show up on screen not even asterix's

then you should be connected..

sorry if thats a bit waffled

It is possible if you have created a ftp server aswell or if the webserver has built in ftp (which i doubt apache does) though your ' other gear' may include ftp. If its just a webserver then no you cant, it need a port for ftp so files can be uploaded / edited/ deleted and so on....

Edited by OvKillz

Iv'e got a couple of custom upload scripts on my website. User log in to their space (different script) and they can upload files to a predetermined location. It's a php script. There are better way's to upload if your using ftp, just get ftp permissions (which you should know as you set it up)

is this a webserver bought through a hosting compnay or a server in your house?

if it is in you house what you could do it set up samba and then you could go through network places and be able to upload and download files that way.

if it is with a hosting company you might want to check there policies about that kind of stuff.