Newb Building A New System

hey eveyone im pretty new at this stuff. ok well ive been doing research on newegg, tigerdirect and frozencpu. what do you think would be good choices on a system to build. im into gaming (halo, doom3, CoD) and also im a big fan of listening to music. i was wondering if you guys could give me ideas on stuff to buy. water cooling? is this a smart idea? another question even though its not in the right post section, should i go with a amd 64 or a intel P4? please help a noob in his quest for a custom computer.

go with 64, this way you are ahead of the game and do not need to update/build a new comp for a few years. Everything else is really your choice. How much money you have to spend is a big factor in your build.

If you're trying to do it somewhat low-budget, I'd recommend that you go with a Mobile Athlon XP and perhaps a DFI Ultra Infinity NFII. (though any Nforce2 Ultra 400 mobo will be great) They aren't quite as speedy as an A64 or a P4, but this would allow you to put quite a bit more money (probably about 100 bucks more) into your video card, which is what affects gaming peformance the most.

Yeah; I'd recommend getting:

Decent Case/ not cramped/compacted

EDIT: at LEAST 450+ watt PSU; and make sure the reviews are good for it too :lol:

AMD 2500+ XP/Mobile

Radeon 9800 Pro 256bit 256mb (or 256bit 128mb)

512mb ram

80gig Harddrive (Plenty for Music/Games until you get enough for another)

CD-RW drive

**CD drive

Whateva else you want/need

That'll run yah well for awhile. Then you can upgrade things from time to time.

Things I suggest upgrading later (then the others):

Sound Card

Monitor

Wat?? p4 speedy, eva unit?? I first thought p4 were better too, then i found that AMD, you can OC and plus, its much cheaper. I got my Barton a year ago for 80 bucks

lol, you can overclock P4's as well. I'm a die-hard amd fan, but I'll be the first to admit that the Barton's can't touch the top P4's...they're not supposed to. The Athlon 64's will trouce any P4, but the barton's can't do it. But like you said, they still perform VERY well and are a HELL of a lot cheaper. That's why I think they're the best option.

amd 64 2800 ($150)

msi k8t neo fis2r($113)

512 mb pc 3200 mushkin($75)

saphire 9800 pro 128 mb 256 bit($193)

enermex 420 wat niose taker power supply unti($66)

thats $597 i believe and its all from www.newegg.com

if you could get a little more than 600$ you can get a case also.