Thermalright Chipset Cooler Nb-1

GregP24

How does the NB-1 compare to the stock coler setup on the Abit IC7-MAX3? Is it enough better to warrant the $16? Or is the Abit setup pretty good?

The stock NB cooler on the high end Abit boards seem top-notch...I think the only worthwhile upgrade would be to water. I would only bother with another air-cooled NB heatsink if the stock one had the fan die. (which I hear is a common problem with those abit heatsinks)

Yeh, the one on my max 3 cools very well, if your that fussy about NB cooling, lap the stock one and re mount it with AS5. As Eva said, the fan is crap. About once every couple of months, for some strange reason the fan goes down to about 200-500 RPM and makes a VERY loud noise (drowns out my tornado @ 3.5k RPM). A simple shutdown, then turn on again fixes this problem. Other than that its good.

I dont think extreme nb cooling is really necessary, I think its just to say that you have it ;-) just a small hsf will do fine on it. My northbridge on my giga-byte board just has a heatsink, and the side panel fan blows over it, so it is nice and cool. Anything extreme is just for kicks and giggles.

Alright thanks for the replies. I'm getting ready to go to water cooling for my CPU and GPU, and I just wanted to make sure that my NB was up to snuff, since I don't plant to W/C it until the vapochill goes on.

I dont think extreme nb cooling is really necessary, I think its just to say that you have it ;-)

For some people, probably not necessary. I don't think it is for Athlons. But when you get up towards 275+ front side bus, I think it helps. And Homer, I've never had any probs w/ my NB fan either. A couple guys on the Abit boards have had it happen multiple times (!). :knock wood: Makes you wonder what these guys are doing to their computers.

WOOHOO!! I made Geek status!!! B) I'm the man! I'm running 285 FSB and just can't go any higher. Which is weird because I could do 290 FSB all day long with my Asus board. In fact, I ran over 24hours prime95 at 3.5ghz on that board. But this Abit board will NOT go stable beyond 285FSB. I kinda wonder if it's the NB cooler.

I've had that problem where it seems stable but it has "off days". I was running my setup at 255 fsb and it seemed fine for a few days and then one day i tried to boot it and got a bsod before i got into windows. So i had to knock 10mhz off to get it stable again. I think it was the summer heat or something. Then again, i never fully test a system once i OC it.

As long as it plays games and does everyday windows stuff, im happy. I hate when people push their fsb by 1mhz and test it for 24 hours lol :lol: