Famous Quote

the11ama

I'm still trying to find who said it, but '"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons." -- Popular Mechanics, 1949' is a print of a statement made in that year by a leading electronics or computer engineering PhD. I can't remember the name of the person or find it anywhere. Does anyone know who I'm talking about? I did a google search and tried finding the back issue from the popular mechanics web site.

One thing I did find was

(PopularMechanics.com) As for vacuum tube "electronic brains" that filled entire rooms, a year earlier we had boldly predicted in the pages of Popular Mechanics: "Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons."
They did not create that statement, they had originally accredited the person who said that, but I think that they've forgotten.

i dont think anyone actually claimed sying that, it was just quoted by popular mechanics

here are some other good ones

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." --Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

"But what ... is it good for?" --Engineer at the Advanced Computing Systems Division of IBM, 1968, commenting on the microchip.

"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home." --Ken Olson, president, chairman and founder of Digital Equipment Corp., 1977

"Airplanes are interesting toys but of no military value." --Marechal Ferdinand Foch, Professor of Strategy, Ecole Superieure de Guerre.

"If you need more than 15 or 20 meg of storage on a hard drive, you should do it on the City's main frame." --1986 the head of the City of Dallas Information Services Department

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." --Bill Gates, 1981

I'm still trying to find who said it, but '"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons." -- Popular Mechanics, 1949' is a print of a statement made in that year by a leading electronics or computer engineering PhD. I can't remember the name of the person or find it anywhere. Does anyone know who I'm talking about? I did a google search and tried finding the back issue from the popular mechanics web site.

One thing I did find was They did not create that statement, they had originally accredited the person who said that, but I think that they've forgotten.

Maybe try: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=...no+more+than%22

Thanks, but that's basically what I found, and it still does not point to the originator. The guy didn't make a press release about it or anything on that level, but it was noted by not only PM, but in other media outlets as well; the last that I remember seeing it was at least 10 years ago. It seems that everyone has forgotten who it was.

my favorite is the state of new jersey:

we're gonna have a 5 year case study to fix the Y2k problem

in october of 1999!!!

good old new jersey, some of the people here are amazing.... Makes me wonder sometimes. Well with so many people there is bound to be a few dumb ones.