Suggestions

bigred

I've seen this a few places before. it seems to work well.

instead of just posting a link to the rules on the top of the page and having the members "read" them before registering (it's like the EULA for software, who reads that anyway?) why not have a little 10 question test on the rules and / or use of the search features? I'd think this might cut down on some constant "dead horse" topics and might just make the mod's lives easier if the users are REQUIRED to read and prove that they understand the rules prior to breaking them or posting those "dead horse" topics that we cover in 10 differnt threads (half my posts have been wasted on those... buy the DFI, yes the athlon 64 works in 64 bit mode, yes dells suck, blah blah blah).

just a thought to ponder

That sounds good, and I'd add that some of the more senior members might take a sort of "toughlove" approach when responding to new members who ask the same question that was asked 2 days ago. It can be done politely but firmly and can establish a tone of what behavior is appropriate for the site. Exeter_acres and others have started to do this and I commend them for taking a proactive stance to the recent developments.

that's a good idea.

I for one have been a little rough on some noobs about it. I'm trying to be more polite about it and not say "use the darn search button moron" or "try google". it's REALLY hard after a day of listening to people ask things like "which of these boards is for an athlon xp" when the signs are RIGHT INFRONT OF THIER FACES :)

I don't think we announced a change that we made the other day, but now when a member registers at the site, with their validation email they are also sent a link to the rules.

Also, the first thing a new member will see upon their first login to the forums is a message similar to this:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

On behalf of OverclockersClub.com, allow us (The Staff) to be the first to welcome you to our community. :)

As moderators, one of our primary tasks here is to keep some form of order around the site, we'd like to share with you a few important things.

Probably the first most important thing is the rules. The rules are part of what help to keep the site clean, friendly, and professional. We ask that you take a moment before you do anything else, and read over the rules. Failure to follow our rules can result in you losing member privileges, or in extreme cases having your account suspended.

At the bottom of the rules page, we've included several links to various forum areas that we think could be useful to you. Some of these areas include:

That's pretty much it. ;) Feel free to stop by the "OCC n00bs" forum and introduce yourself to the rest of the community, or dive on into one of our many forums.

Hope you enjoy your stay.

Regards,

The OverclockersClub.com Staff

P.S. If you ever think of something that we could do to improve OverclockersClub.com, feel free to let us know in the Comments, Feedback & Site Bugs forum, and we'll take it into consideration.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Hopefully that will help new members out. ;) Considering haveing that displayed every time they log in till after they have x number of post...

Along the same lines, we're considering displaying the rules to a person when they come here if they have a warning... based on the % they would see it more often. Ranging from once a week to after every post. We've not come to a decision on that though. :)

------------------------------------

Back to another point... it doesn't matter how many times it's been asked, some people will always ask again. It's just human nature... people like the reassurance that comes from having their question answered by a real person, rather than just researching it. Just have to nudge people in the right direction.

perhaps it'll work (better than nothing). however one of two things might happen. first is it'll still get blown off like the EULA when you're installing windows (c'mon how many times have you installed windows vs how many times you've actually read that thing... I'm guilty of NEVER reading that thing). second it may become too much of a pain in the rear to some folks who will just stop posting. and I don't know if that's a good thing. EVERYONE has to have some knowledge of SOME subject that can be shared with the community. and driving even a few away that way could in even some small way contribute to the wealth of info here is a bad thing. I think the test might be a little more effective because it requires a response and requires them to actually THINK about what's going... even if it's just one time. Heck if takes them 3 tries to get all the right answers on the test, at least you KNOW they read it, not just scrolled to the end and clicked on 'OK' to get past it.

yeah it's a suggestion... nothing more. take it or leave it. I'll still be here.

and yeah it's gotta be a nudge... not the SLAP or shove in the right direction I'm guilty of doing to a member before :)

speaking to slapping someone here comes one of my FAVORITE clowns into the store with thier computer... $100 says it's spyware for the 9th time in as many weeks.

When i first come on the forums, i get directed to the rules. Is this special treatment for me only, or is everyone getting it? Maybe i've been a bad boy :blink::ph34r:

Anyone with a warning will see the rules. The higher the warning level, the more often you will see it.