AMD vs. Intel

• Replies 727
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since when was the FX-53 able to beat any P4, look at the Futuremark scores. I chose Intel because they are more powerful than AMD's and overclock much better (usually). I mean a 700mhz oc on pretty mid range air cooling is great value for money.

I have compared benches of AMD's and P4's, and even though the odd AMD will bench better, generally P4's come out on top.

My friend has a Athlon XP 2600+, no doubt its a good chip, but doesnt stand a chance against its P4 counterpart, 2.6c (or even the 2.4c for that matter)

Spend 2.5x more just to overclock and cook a chip. Money does grow on trees :P

If you want to think of it that way, fine by me. :)

Performance = Intel

Price = AMD

Can't argue with that

We will continue to argue till we grow grey beards.

Heck, let me say this: If Intel reduced their prices, I probably would try their stuff. I like trying things. If the prices were not so high and if Intel stopped changing their socket specifications time and time over, I may have been interested. I was a long time Intel user myself before socket changes started happening and prices started to inflate.

What... AMD changes their sockets way more. Socket 940 pretty much recently came out, and already theres socket 939 in which the processors can't be interchanged between one another. On the other hand Intel socket 478 has been out for a long time.

What I am referring to is that Intel has implemented different socket designs for CPU's from speeds 600 and higher. P3 in Slot 1 to S370, then from PGA to FCPGA then FCPGA2? P4 for S423 then S478? Xeon from Slot 2 to S603? AMD has stuck with Socket A for years, From the Duron 600 all the to the XP3200+. This also applies for MP's.

Your forgeting that 940 has been alround for along time for the opertron, they didnt just make it, you said that it recently came out? it's been around for a while. To implement 64 technology and incorporate new features was always going to incorporate some changes, in this case a new socket. The thing is, its dont now so it wont need to be done again for some time. If you remember on release of the athlon 64+, they said that later in the year there would be a 939 varient, the consumer had a choice to wait for it or to get the 940 or 754 (i think), so you wouldn;t be wasting your money when your were cought suprised form a new release.

The boards couldnt handle some of the higher processors anyways though... <_<

True, now they say that the EE or the Prescott (dunno which one) only works with one or two of Intels chipsets? Can you understand why someone like me gets p.o.'d at Intel?