Folding Contests, How Should They Work?

Bosco

i think r_target has a good idea. that is of course because some of us dont have access to the many computers and some of us cant keep them on 24/7. i think that picking three names(or how ever many you want) and giving the prizes in the order that they were picked

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok, i don't like this points over time thing (supposedly efficiency) cos that's just how powerful your rigs are... like someone with a P4EE is going to kick my barton's arse all over the place even if i fold 24/7... i got this barton (in sig) and a 2nd p3-800 rig and have been folding 24/7 (with the odd hour downtime down to emergency modding) for like 2 weeks...

there's always gonna be people who can churn more wu's/points per day and also people who can churn more wu's/points per machine...

maybe if you can track for constant folding... man, it's too hard, cos I can't borg my work computers and i don't have access to a school so i just give all i got on my two modest rigs... but it would only take like one rig to out-fold me....

rrrrrrr...

maybe... ah i give up, whoever's got the most powerful machine(s) and/or access to loads of computers that aren't their own will win...

:(

We have almost 300 members who have folded in the past, but have not submitted any WUs in the past week and their 24 hr avg is 0. That means we have 63% of our team no longer actively folding.

I would propose a prize category for those who return to folding and fold actively for 2-3 months.

sometimes i get a zero 24hour average if i get a massive tinker on my main rig and anything bigger than about a 40 point WU on my old p3... so maybe factor that into the equations... that's even with continuous folding... my p3 has been on for like 3 weeks continuous i think...

i dont think it should have anything to do with how many points per day you have or how many machines you have. it should just be based on overall points. kinda like the last contest except give the prizes in the order that the names are drawn out of a hat. as far as how many points it takes to get an entry, i dont know.

i got an idea:

we take the amount of computers a 'folder' has, and see how many W.U.s that that person puts out per computer. See, i'm only folding with one computer at the moment...i need a couple of more parts!

think that would work best.

Why not just give each folding member "1 entry" in to the contest for each week the user has turned in at least 1WU?

This is the best proposed idea so far. I think if we modified it a little bit so that there wouldnt be as many ties (as im sure there would be many) it would be a fair way to do this for all members.

Why not just give each folding member "1 entry" in to the contest for each week the user has turned in at least 1WU?

i think this is the fairest proposed idea yet... cos it doesn't necessarily mean that people with the most money and most machines will be more likely to win... it would go more on folding participation than folding power...

(even though raw folding power is undeniably valuable, loyal folding participation is more important i think :))