Browser Wars - Linux Ed.

d3bruts1d

OK... we started up the Browser Wars for the Windows based web browsers, it's only fair to have the same for Linux (BSD also) fanatics.

So.. when you're not looking at a prompt (or maybe even when you're looking at a prompt) what web browser do you use?

Do you wget all of your pages? Or surf the simple life of Lynx? Maybe your a Opera, Netscape, or Mozilla fan in Windows and Linux? Gnome Nautilus? Konquer? So many options, what’s you're pick?

Ya'll know me... I'm an Opera fan. ;)

Remember, this thread is only for Linux (or BSD) based browsers.

Lynx is the shizzle fo sho! (Were did that come from? :P )

When I saw this, I thought I was gonna be all cool and list it. But you put it in the list already... My friend told me to grab it off sourceforge and I didn't know what it was. Man that is one heck of a suprise when you first see it, or what you don't see when using it.

I'm new to linux, and I've tried Mozilla, Konqueror, Firefox 0.8, Galleon (I think that's right???)

Well... I must say, that Firefox for Linux isn't as good as it is for Windows, which is odd... But it's still the best browser I've used.

Konqueror is evil, though!! lol.

Edit: 0.9 RC1 is here... Thought I'd update my thoughts...

Well, I said earlier, the Win32 version of FF0.8 was better IMO then the Linux version, just smoother, and stuff... But now 0.9RC has come along \o/ the Linux version is King!!

I read this in the Windows version of this thread

Been giving Opera a try, I like it a lot, every day I discover something new it can do.  Can't go back to surfing w/o mouse gestures, that's for sure.

I'm sure it's the same, in Linux, too, but the thing is, when FF was still in 0.8 I used mouse gestures, as there is no native support for my shoulder buttons on my mouse (buttons 7+8) almost anywhere in Linux so I used the gestures to quickly navigate back and forth in my history... I got soooo frustrated with it, gestures are over-rated, I think. I'm so glad that the 0.9 RC supports my shoulder buttons... I just await support from everything else in Linux now, lol.

The extension support in Firefox is incredible, though it is a pain having to install Shockwave Flash every time I upgrade my browser...

AFAIK, though... in the Opera/FF debate... FF1.0 will do everything Opera can do with one advantage... ITS FREE!!!!

• 1 month later...
The extension support in Firefox is incredible, though it is a pain having to install Shockwave Flash every time I upgrade my browser...

I am currently using Konqueror....haven't had time to try others....

There is a version of shockwave flash for linux?? Where can i get it??? I haven't been able to find it.

• 7 months later...
Lynx is the shizzle fo sho! (Were did that come from? :P  )

When I saw this, I thought I was gonna be all cool and list it. But you put it in the list already... My friend told me to grab it off sourceforge and I didn't know what it was. Man that is one heck of a suprise when you first see it, or what you don't see when using it.

213050[/snapback]

LOL yeah that's why I even went to post in this thread...I saw the thread topic's idea of lynx. Lynx is pretty sweet, I have to say...especially during those long gentoo installs when you're bored and want to at least do SOMETHING. (eh I guess links2 works in that regard too...no color though)

Though for everyday use I of course use firefox. (I'm convinced that the linux version is better than the windows version)

• 3 months later...

LONG LIVE THE DEAD THREAD REVIVALS!!!!

Lynx is the first Linux browser I've ever used, and it's great in it's element, but i've gotta go with FireFox first, and Mozilla second. Konquerer is crappy, I rate it about as good as IE - a browser for your file system, internet, network, etc? No. Do one thing, and do it good, do them all, and you're not as good in any of them...

Surprisingly, I think FF is a lot more stable in windows than Linux. :huh: Stupid pdf files. :angry: