Do You Leave Your Computer On?

Phil

How often do you shut off your computer?  

102 members have voted

1. 1. How often do you shut off your computer?

• Whenever I'm not using it
    • Whenever I'm going to be away from it for a while
    • Only at night
    • Leave on all the time

I've read that turning off and restarting your computer shortens it's life by one day each time. Do you agree? If so, is it even more true for an overclocked PC?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I leave (all of) mine on 24/7.. even if I go out of town. And all of my computers are right next to my bed, generating heat and noise.... 3 tornados, and I still manage to fall asleep to the gentle humm.

Main reason I do it is because they run F@H or act as a server.

It's heavily debated whether or not power-cycling your computer can actually harm it. I've seen "facts" that point in both directions. Personally, I believe that it does indeed harm the CPU... it's like other products. When is the most harm done to an engine? When it is first started. When does a light bulb blow? When you turn it on.

Even if power cycling does harm your computer, does it really matter? I mean, most of us here OC our computers.... that's harm enough. Even so, CPUs are rated for something like 10+ years. How long do you plan on keeping the same CPU? - Unless you are Taz, you'll probably upgrade in 2-5 years.

:foldon: :foldon: :foldon: :foldon: :foldon:

I only turn off my PC if I have to restart because I have loaded something or if I am going away for more than a couple of days. Other than that it is on 24/7.

i turn my computers off when i'm modding or physically moving it to like a lan party...

i might turn them off once in a while if someone stays over and sleeps on the sofa in the lounge (where my computers are) so that they can sleep in peace!!!! :D

i'd go wiv disturbed's theory... i can only imagine your psu's lifespan is reduced out of everything...

I only turn mine off when they crash or I have to move it. Other than that, I hardly ever turn them off. And I always leave them on while im away, that way I can get ftp and remote desktop access to my computer from wherever im at like school.

I've been leaving my computer on ever since I read that restarts can be harmful, but in the back of my mind the issue was never fully resolved. I'm feeling much better now.

I've been leaving my computer on ever since I read that restarts can be harmful, but in the back of my mind the issue was never fully resolved. I'm feeling much better now.

Well then you should be folding while your at it? :foldon: