Optorite Burners

bigred

wow, I'm kinda suprised it works. if you have an optorite dvd burner, you'll notice it uses the same exact components as the plextor (both built by sanyo). I've had some problems with it writing to memorex and fujifilm dvd-r disks. tonight I got brave and flashed the firmware to the plextor firmware. suddenly it picked up some speed and writes to those disks just fine.

keep in mind that the plextor 8x is going for $150 right now, while the optorite is under $100 for the 8x.

oh and it seems to have gotten a minor kick in the pants while doing some ripping too... not sure why that happened either B)

w00t, I just bought one about a week and a half ago. So far it has worked wonderfully for me without firmware upgrades, but maybe it'll work better with them. Great price for it too.

Which firmware upgrade from plextor did you use?

Edited by cyberpc04

feel free to smack me upside my head for this one :( you need the disk that comes with the plextor drive to flash it (I'm an idiot and only had the disk cuz I have both drives)

i've got an optorite 16x12x40 model CW 1601

it's not a DVD drive, it's a CD-RW

it works well, but it always seemed to have a hard time recognizing CD-RW media, no matter what brand i tried

it always burned CD-r's fine though

is it the A or the regular? I just got the A's in the store last week. I'll have to grab a non A and try it.

if you are asking me, the only other thing i see is manufactured in Jan 2002

and right under the barcode is :

ACA11C2321026474