Fixed It. Ecs Still Sucks Tho

General

Well i fixed it. [AGP] what i ended up doing was i tilted my computer and really crammed the card in there. i plugged the computer in and i got the first sign that it was working. the pc didnt turn on without me pressing the button. the second sing i got was: it posted. after that i slowly tipped my computer back up and now i have a Video card again.Huuuray. still never buying from ECS again.

what were your guy's experience with ECS..

any good ones?

No, not really good. The board worked fine, until I tried to put in a PCI video card. Even though there was an option in the BIOS to enable a PCI card before the onboard, it wouldn't work. Bigred told me (and ECS later confirmed it too) that the chipset didn't allow a PCI video card.

What a POS.

Guest FxXP

My K7S5A's (SiS 735) boards ran stable over the course of time that I had them, over a year. I had the 3.x black board at first, then used the Pro 5.0 purple board.

The K7SEM/M810LMR was a different story. I killed one board by hooking up the USB improperly (manual was very unclear on that). The other board wouldn't except my 1600+ CPU due to its revision. There were over 5 revisions of the M810LMR that is was insane to find one that would work with XP based Athlons.

lol when i hooked up the front USB cables of my Case to the mobo i had them on upside down and i started a small fire, that illuminated the case for about 3 seconds. :bah: Still works tho. i must say the only thing decent about this mobo is its resilincy to keep on going. i must of short circuited atleast 20 times and it still goes. other than that its total .

My K7S5A's (SiS 735) boards ran stable over the course of time that I had them, over a year. I had the 3.x black board at first, then used the Pro 5.0 purple board.

The K7SEM/M810LMR was a different story. I killed one board by hooking up the USB improperly (manual was very unclear on that). The other board wouldn't except my 1600+ CPU due to its revision. There were over 5 revisions of the M810LMR that is was insane to find one that would work with XP based Athlons.

yeah the K7S5A was a work horse. I had plenty of them over time (7 or 8 in my systems and family members). the M810 actually came in 7 variants, 11 different brand names and 13 revisions (good luck figuring out WHAT bios to actually use when you get stuck with the no name version of it). that board and I had a HUGE war for a few weeks when it seemed like all of them in southeaster michigan died at once... thanks ecs for your great product... I'd rather break all my fingers than deal with anymore of those things. the rule at the store is NO service if you have a Hsing Tech sis 730 based board. only exception is if we are installing a DFI Az30tl or km400 in place of it (the second one is the BEST micro atx board I have ever dealt with... sata, oc good for via, solid work horse board).

the only board that has historically given me more problems that the m810 is the abit BP6... that was the WORST board in the history of computers. Abit's first (should have been thier last) dual cpu board. at least they've been smart enough to stay out of the dual cpu server market, cuz that board would never fly when stacked upto an intel/supermicro/asus/msi/tyan server board.

Guest Nacho

Must agree on the K7S5A point. I have 3 of them currently....

I got 2 donated to me from the school, built one as a server (currently in my HTPC) and the other for a comp for my g/f (still running strong, and she's beat it up pretty bad a couple times).

Found one at work that was collecting dust, and traded my boss for it for an Abit board (forget what kind). It's now in the closet waiting for me to get a power supply for it's case. I have no plans to scrap it though.

Now, the only other ECS board I have dealt with a friend of mine bought new on the net. We built it together, since he didn't know much about building, and I sent him home with a perfectly working computer. Next day, he gives me his comp: somehow he had annihilated the BIOS, and only the secondary BIOS was working. I took it home and spend about 3 hours trying different versions of DOS, awdflash.exe, and different BIOS revisions, but absolutely NONE of them would flash. I think BIOS write protect must have been enabled when he killed hte BIOS and so it was refusing the new one. The chip is soldered onto the motherboard so I can't flash it in another MB.

It's sitting in a closet at his place, I think he's going to sell it on eBay as-is...

Nacho

Guest FxXP

I'm making it my own policy not to support Houston Tech boards in any way, shape, or form. I'll look at it and say "check please!".