Duron Overclock

I had a 1ghz duron a while back, and it overclocked to about 1.4ghz very nicely. The mobo was definately the limiting factor too. (ECS K7S5A) The Morgan core durons overclocked quite well because they were based off Palomino, not Tbird like Spitfire was. However, their .18 micron process will inevitably hold them back. With a decent board, you could probably get 1.5ghz out of it, maybe a little more.

which board would be better for overclocking it and eventually upgrading in a couple months:

abit kv7

gigabyte GA-7VT600-L

msi kt6v-lsr

and if not one of these then what would be a decent board for overclocking that isnt too much

For the best overclocking board, get one based off Nvidia's Nforce2 chipset instead of KT600. For the duron, practically ANY board would work fine, but for future upgrades the high-fsb capability of Nforce2 is very nice to have. The nforce2 boards by MSI, Asus, Abit, and DFI are always a good choice, but really ANY nforce2 board will be decent.

which would be better for overclocking:

the DFI NFII 400-AL

or the Albatron KX18D-pro

kind of tight on cash so an nf7-s might be too much for what i'm trying to do

Edited by Split423

I had a DFI NII 400AL and I sent it back 4 days after I got it, I don't think it oveclocks well cause it died with a 2500+ in it oc'd to only 2.1ghz. I like DFI boards just not that one. I also noticed with that board you cannot adjust the vcore.

i have the DFI NFII-400AL,.... its a pretty solid board... but doesnt let u change the vCore...

go for the DFI U-al its a striped down version of the lanparty... red told me to get that one... i didnt see the U and got screwed with this...

Edited by IoDd64

The albatron would be a great choice...I love my k8x800 pro II. I don't know about that particular board, by my board lets me change every voltage on the freakin thing--even to insane levels. (1.9V for an A64 :blink: )

I had a Duron 1.2 (Morgan). It was running at 1.4Ghz (11.5x133) with no problem... was able to get in Win at 155FSB, but it was not stable; with better board maybe... mb was MSI KT3 Ultra2 - nice board, but no Agp/Pci lock... :(

Like others, i reccomend Nforce2 board ;)