Fx5700 0r 9600xt?

My FX5600 crapped out and I am looing at the above 2 options, which one is best? From what I hear the FX5700 outperforms the 9600XT, and suggestions? Thanks guys and girls.

do you mean the 5700 ultra or 5700? If you mean the 5700 ultra... yes it does bench around the same as the 9600XT, if you mean the non ultra the 9600XT beats it plsu it comes with a halflife 2 voucher ($70 worth of game here!)

I would get the 9600XT hands down.

First of all, (as far as I know) you can't flash the bios or do anything to either cards to make them a higher end card. The 9600XT would be my choice hands down just from my experience with each card. I own a Saphire 9600XT Fireblade and a close friend owns a PNY FX5700 Ultra. I play quite a few games and the 9600 does the job much better than I had expected. I have it overclocked from 500mhz core to 575mhz on stock cooling, without changing voltages. My memory went from 600mhz to 700mhz with memory hsinks. Every game I play, I put all eye candy on and it does a superior job. The 5700 overclocks about as well as the 9600 from what i've read (and from what i've been told from my friend) and performs almost just as well, but my opinion says otherwise. I've spent a bit of time playing games with the 5700 and they just aren't as smooth or crisp. For ex. Halo, URT2k4, and NFSU are much more jumpy than on the 9600. Then when you take into consideration the price of each and the extras you get, then the 9600 definately wins this one. (free HL2 and its much cheaper.) Oh, and just as a bit of support, I used to be a TRUE believer in Nvidia because i've owned all Nvidia cards so when I needed to upgrade...well, I was hearing bad things about Nvidia and great things about ATI. I was very nervous about making the switch but it was WELL worth it. I'm pretty sure you'll love the 9600XT.

So there is my two cents on the whole thing.

9600XT all the way baby!!!

chances are gettin slim to get a HL2 voucher bundled (I got lucky with my asus 9600xt tvd) I would have taken the 5700u over the 9600xt if I wasnt in the market for VIVO, since I am more of an Nvidia fan and HL2 is never coming out anyway :lol:

and if you are going for the 5700, get an ultra, preferably the Gainward Golden Sample ;)

Edited by Mr_Yuck