New Ryzen Budget Multi-Purpose Build Help

Stealth3si

I compiled a pcpartpicker list for a New Ryzen Budget Multi-Purpose Build that is not a one-time build (for future upgrades).The maximum budget is $1,200.

The primary use is for FPS shooters, and secondary use is streaming thru video capture (and possibly camera recording) and video recording, encoding and editing.

$209.09 AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor
$44.00 Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition 57.3 CFM CPU Cooler
$126.99 MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard
$89.99 Crucial Ballistix RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory
$74.98 Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
$54.99 Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
$319.99 Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB OC Video Card
$89.99 Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case
$124.99 Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
$46.99 upHere T7SYC7 120 mm Fans 6-Pack
$179.99 AOC C24G1 24.0" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor
$41.22 SteelSeries Apex 100 Wired Gaming Keyboard
$79.98 SteelSeries Rival 600 Wired Optical Mouse

Total cost: $1483.19

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/sjHv68

Is there any part in the list that should be replaced or can be improved in the list?

Would appreciate anybody's input and thanks in advance!

Edited by Stealth3si

Yes I have a few suggestions

1: I would replace the MB with a B550 or X570. The B450 is iffy on official support for the 4th Gen Ryzen coming out in a few weeks. It will be up to the board partners to support those CPUs which is already a issue with the 3rd Gen. Since you want to upgrade in the future, the 4th gen is the last for the AM4 socket. After that will be a new socket for DDR5 memory planned for late 2021 / early 2022.

2: I would get a 850 or 1000 Watt PSU if you plan on getting the Radeon 6800XT or RTX 3070 / 3080 at some point. Your looking at 300 watts from the card alone. Its always good to have extra if you ever need it. Total pain to swap power supplies. I just did it myself. Rule of thumb is you want to be at 50% total power of the PSU. That is where the efficiently is the highest. Though it doesn't matter a whole lot with Platinum or Titanium PSUs as its above 88% for everything.

3: AOC monitors are well, okay. Don't expect great things in picture quality.

4: To maximize  the CPUs you want to have the Infinity Fabric frequency to match the memory. So the top end for the 3nd gen Ryzen is 3800 memory. If your not into memory overclocking / tuning I would suggest getting memory at CL14. I wrote a article on this. Memory speed doesn't matter much if you are GPU bound. But since you are playing at 1920x1080, memory will still play a role in frame rate. It really depends on the games you play. Anything that is AI heavy and uses a the CPU a lot will benefit the most. Like a good 10 FPS. Others like COD saw no difference.

Your choices look fine to me, other than the motherboard, which you should change to a B550 chipset. I do not suggest changing the PSU at all, that one has a good range for efficiency. Once you get around 25% to 80% load, you are at peak efficiency. Consider some higher quality fans if you find the cheaper ones to be irritating.

Yes, get a 550 or 570 motherboard.  And if the build can wait until after nov 5th when the new cpu's come out, then you can either spend a little more and get a 5600x cpu (less threads but with the additional, reported 20% IPC improvement, and higher clock speed, will out perform the 3800x, or stick with the 3800x but the prices will likely drop once the 5000 series are available.  And the corsair 750 is a decent power supply, that's actually the one I've had for 3.5 years now and works great.  But if you want the newest nvidia cards, or the soon to be released AMD cards, they may require more.

Should also review some benchmarks, preferably ones that use the games you intend to play, to see if that video card can put out the fps you're looking for.  At 1920x1080 I would think it would be ok.  But for another $50 you can get the 5700xt which is about 30% better on average.  It also has 8gb of video ram that would allow for higher quality textures, AA, AF, etc.  But does not have the RTX technology.  Even so, the 2060 sucks at it any way, imo

Edited by Fight Game

AMD has said multiple times now that all 450 and 470's will be supported.  I know the individual mb manufacturers have to make a new bios using the new agesa that AMD will give them but I don't really see any of them failing to do so

with the next generation (ryzen 6000 series?) going to require a new socket, there will be very few willing to buy a new mb for a single cpu upgrade, and instead just wait.  I'd like to think that the mb manufacturers would want to simply update their bioses and keep their customers happy, in hopes that customers consider them when buying the next socket

The problem with B450 and X470 MBs is the BIOS are so small to support the new CPUs, older ones become unsupported and the BIOS loses its GUI. Reminds me of early 2000s BIOS.

Not a huge deal, but it makes things a bit difficult if you want to switch CPUs back to a older one for some reason.