Will the next generation of GPUs allow 4k @ 240 hz gaming?

It seems to me like gaming displays are pushing the display technology faster (240 hz +) and bigger (4k +) than the graphics cards can handle.

So will the next generation of GPUs catch up with the displays and allow us to play games in 4k @ 240 hz?

Or if we are limited to a 20-30% boost in hardware performance per generation might it take more cycles to catch up with monitors today... so we see the arrival of 8k @ 480 hz monitors just as we have GPUs capable of 4k @ 240 hz

Edited by Nyt
Spam links in post deleted, and thread moved to correct section

IMHO we are further into Moores Law for graphics than we are for LCD panels, so I feel like we'll be seeing this trend for a while. AMD and NVIDIA (and Intel) could quadruple their IC but the power draw would be incredible, as would die failures at the fabrication level for such big chips. Or they could do two+ ICs side by side as they have in the past on CPUs at least.

It doesn't help that multi-GPU scaling is still poor and all involved are moving away from it.

I think 4K is going to be the maximum viable resolution for at least 3 years. 4K/60 is firmly 2080Ti territory with everything else struggling without compromising on settings.

With the move towards greater levels of fidelity as games develop alongside the new PS5 and Xbox Series X, as well as the fact that Raytracing is going to become way more popular, I think we will be stuck at 1440p/144 and 4K/60 on the next generation NVIDIA Ampere and AMD RDNA 2 cards.

I also think it will be interesting to see how the new consoles shape the future of gaming.
If developers target 4K/30 as a baseline whilst fully utilizing the PS5 hardware (basically a 3.5GHz 8 core Ryzen and 5700XT with currently unmatched IO capabilities) then many gamers who still wish to maintain 60fps and above will have to look at much more powerful hardware.

• 4 weeks later...

The Eve Spectrum gaming monitor is aiming to answer all our panel-based prayers. As a device crowd-designed to fit the needs of a demanding audience, the Eve Spectrum is promising a whole lot. And to ensure that promise is to be met a lengthy update and Q&A has just been published on the Eve Community site