Asus ROG Strix RTX 2070 O8G Gaming fan grinding noise

I recently bought Asus ROG Strix RTX 2070 O8G Gaming graphics card. Whenever the fans start or stop spinning, they make grinding noise. When the fans spin at a higher and more constant rate, the noise disappears but I’m almost sure I picked it up at some higher rate as well. To witness that, the BIOS switch should be in Quiet Mode position so the fans won’t spin until GPU’s temperature reaches 55 Degrees Celsius. But this temperature is right on the boarder of general computer usage, which means that I get to hear this grinding noise constantly. When the graphics card warms up the fans start spinning making grinding noise. In a few seconds when the card cools down, they stop spinning making grinding noise. So practically I don’t get a quiet mode of operation from the card but instead get to hear periodic grinding noise, which is quite irritating. It’s not like a constant level of noise but instead noise comes and goes every 20-30 seconds. I actually found a video on youtube with similar problem but on Gigabyte RTX 2080 card 

I still have my old Asus Strix GTX 970 O4G graphics card with two fans and 0dB operating mode, which this card was supposed to replace. And I have Asus ROG Strix RX 480 O8G Gaming graphics card with 3 similar fans and 0dB operating mode in my second computer. None of these cards have this problem with their fans. In fact, GTX 970 is the quietest of the three.

Did anybody have similar experience with this card? Is it a loose bearing in the fans or a buggy fan stop mode? Is it a waste of time to get a new one or it will most likely do it too? What are the chances to get another one that does so?

Try setting a custom fan curve, disable Quiet-Mode, start your fan curve at 1500 rpm, adjust minimum fan speed + - to insure fans remain spinning at idle, and temps start ramping up fans at 56c and you should be good.

The noise you are hearing could be the fans controller constantly starting and stopping voltage to fan,.. due to Quiet-Mode settings, or a faulty fan. Perhaps card vendors will address this issue with a patch preventing fans from completely stopping in Quiet-Mode, as seems lots of triple fan cards have same annoying issue.  

Edited by Braegnok

But this totally negates 0RPM fan mode. Not that fans spinning at low RPM create any noticeable noise but at least it reduces dust build up inside the card. When I replaced thermal paste in my GTX 970 after 3 years of use, it was surprisingly dust-free.

Actually, instead of engaging in a lengthy warranty replacement process and in fear of getting a new card with the same problem, I just returned the card to the shop and got a full refund. My other option was MSI RTX2070 Gaming Z card but local shops recently started dropping the price of Asus card that is now €80 cheaper than MSI. I wonder if this price drop is related to higher return rate. I’m not sure how reliable is Amazon rating based on customer reviews but it seems that Asus card has lower rating than MSI. However, based on multiple reviews of these two cards, the Asus card has a slight advantage in terms of features: it has an overall lower operating temperature, lighter and somewhat smaller and more importantly, has extra fan headers which I find quite useful because they allow controlling intake fans based on graphics card load. So should I pay a higher price for less features in hope MSI card will be of better quality or bite the bullet and get another Asus card hoping that it’s not a common issue with this card? By the way, there was another problem with Asus card. Its RGB lighting was turning off occasionally with no particular reason. I open Asus Aura RGB Lighting Control software and the switch is in OFF position. I turn it on and in a few days it would happen again. My Asus ROG Strix RX 480 doesn’t do that in any of my two computers.

Personally I prefer Founders Edition Cards, they run cool, quiet,.. don't have RGB lighting. 

Guess I would go with MSI otherwise. The reviews for the MSI Gaming X Trio, and Gaming Z are all good,.. I like the plane wrapper MSI RTX Ventus. 

Edited by Braegnok

MSI Gaming Z/X are awesome cards but they are always a bit out of my price range. I have a RTX 2080 FE and its decent but I prefer EVGA cards because of the price is lower and the coolers are Bascially the same as the Founders Edition.

+1, normal working fans don't make that sound.

I tested a dozen GPU fans last night, I could not get any of them to make any noise, lowering voltage, shutting down, starting,... :no: