I need a new router and i need some help

Orian

i run a home media server which and my family access our media via ssh.

my cheap nasty router is as much use as a chocolate fire guard i get lag sometimes when im on local network and its cliche "you get what you pay for" in this case its very very true.

so I need something that ain't going to cost the earth but can handle the the rigours of online gaming through Xbox live local media streaming remote media streaming and other local devices connected to it via WiFi and lan.

do you have any recommendations?

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk

i run a home media server which and my family access our media via ssh.

my cheap nasty router is as much use as a chocolate fire guard i get lag sometimes when im on local network and its cliche "you get what you pay for" in this case its very very true.

so I need something that ain't going to cost the earth but can handle the the rigours of online gaming through Xbox live local media streaming remote media streaming and other local devices connected to it via WiFi and lan.

do you have any recommendations?

surly someone knows a bit about routers and which ones are a white whale and which ones are solid and reliable

I have been using the new MESH networks now with amazing results. I have the TP-link Deco system and love it.
the problem is not one of range or connectivity it is one of stability and reliability at maximum throughput at maximum time.

basically cheap routers no go atm by that i mean tenda etc.

my virgin media modem connects to my own router and i need the reliability and stability of a small or home bussiness router without the extras just a good solid router that can handle a tone off traffic both remote and local simultaneously whithout comprising the integrity of say a video stream i.e buffering etc from netflix on local when my folks are streaming thier home films off the server or im watching home media at the same tims

can no one recommend a router that is up to the task? Was expecting a few shout outs for Dlink and Netgear and some info from someone who has used the equipment and can tell me what they are like.

• 1 month later...

I am a little late to the game, but I use: NETGEAR Nighthawk Smart WiFi Router (R6700) - AC1750 it looks like it is about $90 on Amazon.

A little background on my home network:
I run a plex server off my desktop - at any given time I usually have 2-3 people streaming tv shows or movies from my plex server.
I also run my TV service strictly from the internet (Hulu TV) and when I am home my TV is usually on and something is playing in the background even if I am not watching it.

I do not have any issues with streaming - My Desktop w/ plex is Wired - My TV streaming Hulu is also wired.
The other devices on the network, however, are all wireless.

So I think if you went with this router and wired up some of your main devices aka the device that people are pulling streams from I think you will be fine.

I also think if you are willing to spend a bit more cash - any of the Netgear Nighthawk routers would be a really good choice.
I would make sure the first thing you do though when getting a new router is to upgrade the firmware. There were a lot of fixes between this year and last in almost all routers.

Gave up on the liksys stuff years ago, nothing but trash for me. went with netgear and been happy every since. I have upgraded once or twice and using the netgear nighthawk x10 R9000 right now

Edited by road-runner

• 2 weeks later...