Who'm is keeping up with ZOMBIE-LAND

I wasn't sure where to put this, but technically it could go in just about any of our forums... and all I can add is the same stuff everybody else has put on the web... so which one of yous super smart programmer guys knew about this stuff like 9 or 10 years ago and just kept it to yourself on the down low ??? and why aren't we talking about here ??

Braegnok ?? did you ??

I'v been in the Microsoft Insider Program for 15 years, and since last year have been running Azure, testing memory preserving maintenance, and Live migration.

Microsoft has deployed mitigations across all cloud services on 04/29/2019. The infrastructure that runs Azure and isolates customer workloads from each other is protected.

This means that a potential attacker using the same infrastructure can't attack your application using these vulnerabilities if your running Azure.  

In the Intel security advisory posted today, Intel said that it released updated Intel microcode updates to device and motherboard vendors.

When would these microcode updates end up on users' computers, is anybody's guess. If we're to learn anything from the Meltdown and Spectre patching process, the answer is probably never,.. however Microsoft will step in and deliver Intel's microcode updates as part of the Windows Update process, just like it did for Meltdown and Spectre last year.

Some versions of Windows 10 and Windows Server are not currently protected, rest assured Microsoft is working on updates for versions 1803, and 1809. 

Microsoft began rolling out updates for Windows a few days ago,.. until the microcode updates reach users' computers Microsoft has published OS-level updates to address the four MDS vulnerabilities.

Updates available for Windows.  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4073119/protect-against-speculative-execution-side-channel-vulnerabilities-in?ranMID=43674&ranEAID=je6NUbpObpQ&ranSiteID=je6NUbpObpQ-HMMe0lA.60TNJzjBfQ1NmQ&epi=je6NUbpObpQ-HMMe0lA.60TNJzjBfQ1NmQ&irgwc=1&OCID=AID681541_aff_7795_1243925&tduid=(ir__y3qg0f60awkfrw2i0ckzh9lp2u2xmcvim2qxszf100)(7795)(1243925)(je6NUbpObpQ-HMMe0lA.60TNJzjBfQ1NmQ)()&irclickid=_y3qg0f60awkfrw2i0ckzh9lp2u2xmcvim2qxszf100 

And Windows Server.  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4072698/windows-server-speculative-execution-side-channel-vulnerabilities-prot?ranMID=43674&ranEAID=je6NUbpObpQ&ranSiteID=je6NUbpObpQ-gF9BGMuJ75nuLlgC8IsZfQ&epi=je6NUbpObpQ-gF9BGMuJ75nuLlgC8IsZfQ&irgwc=1&OCID=AID681541_aff_7795_1243925&tduid=(ir__y3qg0f60awkfrw2i0ckzh9lp2u2xmcvisfqxszf100)(7795)(1243925)(je6NUbpObpQ-gF9BGMuJ75nuLlgC8IsZfQ)()&irclickid=_y3qg0f60awkfrw2i0ckzh9lp2u2xmcvisfqxszf100

Edited by Braegnok

YES !!

Now Were Talkin'  !!!

AWESOME !! 

ok then what is the best thing I can do RIGHT NOW to protect my equipment ? In laymens terms...

i promise I will go back and read all these linked suggestions in the morning...

My advice would be as always,.. do not implement a scenario involving untrusted code, and ensure your operating system is up-to-date to enable security features. 

You can read the RIDL, and Fallout paper's for more information,.. and verify whether your system is vulnerable with MDS Tool.   https://mdsattacks.com/ 

Edited by Braegnok

Wow man this last link to MDS,   RIDL and FALLOUT is spooky... :whoa:

I guess I'll be moving on down to 7nm AMD in the near future...:cry:

MDS was identified to Intel back in June 2018,.. and Intel publicly disclosed the issue on May 14, 2019,.. makes you wonder what else is under embargo and will be released, publicly disclosed in the future.   

In the past 90 days AMD stock went from $21.04 up to $29.95,.. given the latest MDS issues effecting Intel chips, it would not surprise me to see Advanced Micro Devices @ $38.32 in next 90 days. I already own a ton of AMD stock, so I'll be holding or accumulating whilst awaiting for further developments. :popcorn:

Edited by Braegnok

Well all of these speculative risks make me glad that my work PC is a gulftown xeon PC and my gaming-only is the 8700K!

Obviously new CPUs smoke this older architecture, but I haven't had any issues with it yet. LGA1366 was surprisingly resilient if you set it up properly.

Edited by RHKCommander959