RX Vega 64 Failing to Drive Display

Some weeks ago I ran into an issue with the RX Vega 64 and today they returned so I wanted to try seeing if anyone here has ideas.

Unfortunately as it was some weeks ago that this first happened, I do not remember all of what happened, but here's what I do remember. Metro Exodus was not behaving quite as I expected and it had been a while since I restarted the system, so I decided to do that and the display either did not come up, or was corrupted. As I said, it has been a while so I do not remember everything that happened and the order, but I tried changing the display out on the card (had been using a DisplayPort to DVI adapter as my monitor is DVI and then tried using a different adapter and an HDMI to DVI cable) without success. At one point when the display did come up, it was not only at a low resolution but monochrome, which is not something I had encountered before.

Ultimately what I did was pull it out, stick it in the test system and take the RX 580 from the test system and stick it in the desktop. Both systems were happy with this (I have not been doing much with the test system lately, I will admit, but did run 3DMark to confirm it is functional, and it was) and on Thursday, because I had the time to, I decided to try swapping the cards back. Until today, the desktop seemed happy with the RX Vega 64, but there were some errors being thrown when trying to launch some games, so I decided to try restarting (I had not restarted since Thursday). The display did not come up after this restart, though the system did still boot, so I shut it down and started it up again, and this time the display did come up. The errors were still present so I tried reinstalling the drivers, but the restarts for this did not have the display come back up, so I'm now back to the Vega 64 in the test system and RX 580 in the desktop.

Anyone encounter something like this before, and any ideas for fixing it? The Vega 64 should still be under warranty, so that is an option. (Reference card from Gigabyte which has a 3-year warranty and Vega 64 didn't even launch three years ago.)

Edit:

To be clear, the RX Vega 64 has not presented any issues in the test system, only the desktop. The RX 580 has not presented issues anywhere.

Also, the RX Vega 64 in the desktop would not even show the BIOS start up image (ASUS logo and keys to enter BIOS) when it was not going to drive the display, so the issue would be present ahead of Windows being loaded.

At first it sounds like a corrupted driver Jim, if the Vega 64 card is working fine in your test rig,.. but card started having issues on test rig after re-start.

You confirmed the RX 580 is working fine in desktop, and test rig,.. so your Windows drivers & system drivers are fine on both rigs,.. you already reinstalled graphics drivers for Vega 64 on both rigs,..

and are still having issues with Vega 64 card after restart on both rigs,.. than I would say the Vega 64 is faulty. 

You can confirm faulty card,.. regardless which system it's in. Start playing Metro Exodus and press Win+Ctrl+Shift+B while playing game, if card is "not faulty" your screen will go black for a split second and you will hear a beep. Everything will then reappear just as it was before you pressed the hotkey, game will be still running properly,.. because Windows only restarted the graphics subsystem. So all applications are left alone and will continue running normally. Any other outcome after pressing hotkey and your card is faulty. 

Might not have been clear but the Vega 64 has been fine in the test system; it is only in the desktop it has had these issues. I haven't done as much with it in the test system though.

It also just occurred to me (I was starting up the test system to try the driver restart command when I remembered) the failure to drive the display included the image from the BIOS, so before Windows was loaded. (Going to edit the original post to add this and be clearer about the test system.)

Anyway, I tried using the driver reset command, and curiously it does not work with Metro Exodus, so I launched Shadow of the Tomb Raider and it worked there without any issues. (This is on the test system.)

As I'm remembering and thinking about the fact it does not show the BIOS start image on the desktop (does on the test system), it does seem the card itself may be failing. Think I should just put in an RMA?

You say its only the desktop that is having issues with the VEGA 64. I would run DDU and wipe the drivers clean and start over. I swear these new 19 drivers are not stable. Took a good hour for my rx 570 to install properly. Had to wipe the drivers more than once.

The one time I tried using DDU it seriously messed up my computer. Plugging something into a USB port would cause the system to crash, so I don't touch it anymore and trust the Clean Install option. If I want to be more thorough, I'll use CCleaner to get any remnants that may remain. I know some people swear by it, but I swore it off after that happened.

Aside from this stuff though, I can't recall having any issues with the 19 drivers on either system.

Just the oppsite for me. CC Cleaner corrupted windows boot more than once so I avoid it. I use DDU for any card swap or sometimes just to start fresh after a bunch of auto updates. NVDIA has one like every week it seems now.

8 hours ago, Guest_Jim_* said:

Might not have been clear but the Vega 64 has been fine in the test system; it is only in the desktop it has had these issues. I haven't done as much with it in the test system though.

It also just occurred to me (I was starting up the test system to try the driver restart command when I remembered) the failure to drive the display included the image from the BIOS, so before Windows was loaded. (Going to edit the original post to add this and be clearer about the test system.)

Anyway, I tried using the driver reset command, and curiously it does not work with Metro Exodus, so I launched Shadow of the Tomb Raider and it worked there without any issues. (This is on the test system.)

As I'm remembering and thinking about the fact it does not show the BIOS start image on the desktop (does on the test system), it does seem the card itself may be failing. Think I should just put in an RMA?

Good to hear that edit info. Seems your desktop OS might be the issue.

Perhaps time for a clean Windows install on your desktop,.. and hopefully your back up and running 100% stable. :yes:

I'm thinking your card is fine, as it's not showing any errors on test rig. 

Is it weird I'm more comfortable RMAing the card than reinstalling Windows? Just so many years of different configurations I've done and probably still use but have forgotten about.

Anyway, I somewhat doubt it's the OS because when I tried doing a repair when this first happened and the system file check multiple times since, nothing has reported any issues. Plus I wouldn't think an OS issue would explain the card not sending the monitor the BIOS image. It just sends no signal to the monitor at all (the monitor doesn't say it's not getting a signal, but the DP to DVI adapter being connected is enough for that). I know, it doesn't make sense then why it works with the test system, unless it is a complex issue between the Vega 64 and something else with the desktop. Still, it is only the Vega 64 and not the RX 580 that presents any problem, and maybe I just haven't done the right thing with the test system for it to have any problems.

It's just weird.

Nothing weird or wrong with RMAing card,.. you have had that card in your desktop since card was new 12+ months, and sounds reasonable that the card is acting up. Creating an image out of binary data is a demanding process. :lol:

It's a wise move to get a fresh new card before warranty expires, and see if that solves the issues.

Quick update, I put in the RMA request and it has already been approved so hopefully it will all be straightened out before long. For the time being it is the GTX 1070 in the test system, so aside from installing drivers, it will be ready for whenever I get around to collecting some additional data in Shadow of the Tomb Raider with the DXR shadows enabled. (Have a few things to do first.)

• 5 weeks later...