Asus vega 56 bios flash

Removed Duplicated topic.

Crap happens.

Too your question.... IDFK, BUT; I saw one person on reddit confirm that he could.

Now do you want to risk a card that you just got is on you buddy.

Removed Duplicated topic.

Crap happens.

Too your question.... IDFK, BUT; I saw one person on reddit confirm that he could.

Now do you want to risk a card that you just got is on you buddy.

good point 

Flashing your Vega 56 with Vega 64 vBIOS won't unlock any additional hardware in the chip. All it does is boost the core and HBM clock speeds.

AMD is most likely lasering off the unused hardware in Vega 10-56 dies. To make sure that cut-down chips stay cut down,.. by lasering off the unused shaders and TMUs on Vega 10-56 dies. 

Gone are the days when you could buy a cut-down version of a high-end AMD GPU and unlock all the shaders and hardware available in its full fledged higher end variant.  :yucky:

• Like 1

Flashing your Vega 56 with Vega 64 vBIOS won't unlock any additional hardware in the chip. All it does is boost the core and HBM clock speeds.

AMD is most likely lasering off the unused hardware in Vega 10-56 dies. To make sure that cut-down chips stay cut down,.. by lasering off the unused shaders and TMUs on Vega 10-56 dies. 

Gone are the days when you could buy a cut-down version of a high-end AMD GPU and unlock all the shaders and hardware available in its full fledged higher end variant.  :yucky:

I owned a pair of 6950's that flashed to 6970 it was awesome , I miss those days 

+1,.. Back in the day AMD's 4GB cards could be unlocked to the 8GB versions, R9 Furys were unlockable to full-fledged R9 Fury Xs,.. and before that R9 290s were unlockable to R9 290Xs,.. and as you mentioned there are even older examples that would be fully functional chips making the cut-down variant. Only time you would have issues would be if the cut-down chips were slightly defective, perhaps they clock lower or require more voltage, have some dysfunctional shaders.  

• Like 1