AMD Ryzen 7 1800X, 1700X, and 1700 Processor Reviewed

Bosco

If I had some extra cash to build I would definitely do an AM4 build. However, I can't justify the cost due in part that I primarily play games (if and when I have the time!). Hopefully the R5 series will be the one for us to pick up.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty content with the performance, finally a reason to be excited again for AMD processors.

@Frank, could you try / test something? - if not too much trouble of course.

AMD 1700 @4.0GHz vs i7 7700K @ 4.0GHz.

Pretty curious what the performance is like-for-like when clocked equally.

Also, what were the temperatures when overclocked to 4GHz? (The 1700 one, but wouldn't mind knowing what the other 2 were giving as well).

I missed that in the review (or maybe overlooked it?)

I'll see if I can swing the clock per clock comparison.

Temperatures were much better on the 1700 than on the 1700X or 1800x.  Using 1.425v to 1.45v the 1800x and 1700x would run at over 90C with the Corsair H100i. The 1700 would stay in the lower 80'sC with the same 4Ghz clock speed. 

I'll see if I can swing the clock per clock comparison.

Temperatures were much better on the 1700 than on the 1700X or 1800x.  Using 1.425v to 1.45v the 1800x and 1700x would run at over 90C with the Corsair H100i. The 1700 would stay in the lower 80'sC with the same 4Ghz clock speed. 

Wow, that is quite hot to be honest, especially for a 65W chip.

i expected somewhere around 70~ ish, probably because of the first release that the chips are not yet fully matured.

There is hope for the future of AMD, i am pretty happy with the results already and can't wait for next years "gen 2" of Ryzen.

If you're talking to me, 1600x isn't released yet.  I'm asking the reviewer, or anyone I guess, if they have tried or had success overclocking any of the ryzen's that have been released (1700, 1700x and 1800x) via the bus.

Reviewers on other sites have, and specifically the one that broke some records with 5.8ghz on LN

Edited by Fight Game

With 1700X chip and normal cooling solutions your going to use in your case like Corsair H100 or high end air cooler,.. you will be lucky to do +20 on the bus or 4193MHz stable,.. it's all about shedding heat from 8-cores,.. don't matter what road you take to get their but 1.45V ~ 1.5V is the limit with normal cooling solution. 

Edited by Braegnok

Others have had luck overcloking via the bus (100mhz, or just under at stock), and curious if that was tried here at all?

No it was not. Can try it on the board reviews I have coming up though. Bottom line is these chips are 4.1 to 4.3Ghz chips with an AIO at best. Even sub zero they are 5.3Ghz chips with 1.875v plus.

As long as you dont run anything to intense you can pass higher with added votlage but there is a definite thermal break point.  

With 1700X chip and normal cooling solutions your going to use in your case like Corsair H100 or high end air cooler,.. you will be lucky to do +20 on the bus or 4193MHz stable,.. it's all about shedding heat from 8-cores,.. don't matter what road you take to get their but 1.45V ~ 1.5V is the limit with normal cooling solution. 

Even with good water cooling! Going to source an AM4 block and see what I get!