Installing Windows 10 Pro from a USB stick - no luck.

itsonlydanny

Hi,

Just tried installing Windows 10 Pro 64-bit from a USB stick (Patriot Supersomic Rage 32GB) - but no luck. Yes, I altered the 'boot priority' settings but that does not appear to have helped. I currently have a dual-boot setup, with Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and Windows XP Home 32-bit. Fairly obviously, I want to scrub the ancient copy of XP and replace it with Windows 10. I used Rufus software to 'burn' Windows 10 to the USB stick, seemed which to go absolutely fine.

Yes, true, my motherboard and chip are a bit old too - Intel Core2 Duo E6750 with an Abit IP-35 Pro motherboard and 4GB of RAM (ie, Corsair Twin2X2048 XMS Xtreme Performance 800mhz). Any ideas?

Thanks,
DANNY

You've already successfully dual-booted with Win XP and Win 10, which is good. But, my most concerning thing is the XP. I would suggest starting from scratch, and eliminating both partitions, concentrating on one installation. Can you back up any important docs/pics/mp3s and wipe your HDD?

What is actually failing? It's hard to tell from what you posted if you're having trouble with boot priority or something with the install itself.

Try another memory stick?  Try using Motherboard USB plugs instead of case ones?

If that is a USB3.0 try a USB2.0 Flash Drive?

I've never had trouble booting Windows 7 from a memory stick. W10 I do not know about.

Edited by ohldboy

Dont use rufus to make the usb stick. Youll want to use Microsoft windows 10 media creation tool that lets you update or can create a dvd or usb.

I ran into the same problem a while back. But the usb made by the tool worked without issues.

I assume your motherboard doesn't support UEFI. Did you burn it using the "MBR Partition scheme for BIOS or UEFI computers"? Because if you selected "GPT Partition scheme" instead, your motherboard won't be able to recognize it.