Acer Predator X34 Reviewed

Bosco

hmm valid point. Generally overclocking means going out of spec. So than the question is, does the life of the monitor decrease from this "overclock" and going above 60hz?

In the manual, it says "at the end user's risk", but when customers asked Acer about it, the company said overclocking would not void the warranty.

My assumption is it would obviously decrease the life of the monitor, just like overclocking a CPU or GPU decreases their life - after all, the monitor is "working harder" at 100Hz than it is at 60Hz. But is that decrease in life expectancy going to actually be felt by the normal consumer? Who knows. I guess you can ask me in three years (when the warranty ends) if the monitor is still working.

My own experience as well as that of many other people I know that have bought the Freesync and Gsync version of this monitor is that Acer needs to work on quality control. Out of a total of 12 people buying these monitors only one had a good experience out of the box. Speaking with many reviewers it seems they are getting cherry picked monitor.

My own experience as well as that of many other people I know that have bought the Freesync and Gsync version of this monitor is that Acer needs to work on quality control. Out of a total of 12 people buying these monitors only one had a good experience out of the box. Speaking with many reviewers it seems they are getting cherry picked monitor.

As stated before, my monitor did not come direct from Acer and saying reviewers are getting cherry-picked units is quite the accusation of which you provide no evidence.

The monitor has a 4-star rating on Newegg out of 75 reviews and a 4.1-star rating on Amazon out of 42 reviews. I'd trust those samples rather than your undocumented personal sample. Every monitor/product will have the occasional bad seed, but to claim a quality control issue because you were unlucky is ridiculous.

The monitor has a 4-star rating on Newegg out of 75 reviews and a 4.1-star rating on Amazon out of 42 reviews.

Umm, yeah, but if you care to actually read the positive reviews a large amount of them still complain about BLB. Some people can live with it, but i think if you dish out $1300 on a monitor it better be perfect (like some people got it). Other thoughts: some 3 or 4 star reviews basically say "oh, great monitor, but started to flicker/stopped working/etc" which pretty much it should get 1 star because you cant use it but people still put up good rating (for specs maybe?). I'd say stars in reviews is not really an indicator. Same goes for amazon, the first result i clicked had 44 reviews and most 3 star had "minor" issues like inability to OC to 100Hz, which in my opinion should be 1 star because if the monitor does not work as advertised then it is not the monitor that i wanted. Pretty sure 2 star reviews had similar issues or worse. Some reviews had terrible experience with a number of monitors and had to RMA, but it still couns towards the same stars. Getting us to the point where 5 star reviews (where the screen is perfect - or, should i say, passed the QC) are only at 60% and 1-3 star are at 30%, meaning 1 out of 3 units is bound to malfunction in some way. Quite a gamble for $1300.

My unit had not one, but THREE issues at the same time, so yeah, i'd go as far as to claim that the monitor does have quality control issues. When i saw your screenshot of a black screen with logo on it and there was no visible lightbleed i cringed with envy :D

Here is what mine looked like

http://s13.postimg.org/5e4a677t3/20151125_210255.jpg

Edited by That_Guy

The monitor has a 4-star rating on Newegg out of 75 reviews and a 4.1-star rating on Amazon out of 42 reviews.

Umm, yeah, but if you care to actually read the positive reviews a large amount of them still complain about BLB. Some people can live with it, but i think if you dish out $1300 on a monitor it better be perfect (like some people got it). Other thoughts: some 3 or 4 star reviews basically say "oh, great monitor, but started to flicker/stopped working/etc" which pretty much it should get 1 star because you cant use it but people still put up good rating (for specs maybe?). I'd say stars in reviews is not really an indicator. Same goes for amazon, the first result i clicked had 44 reviews and most 3 star had "minor" issues like inability to OC to 100Hz, which in my opinion should be 1 star because if the monitor does not work as advertised then it is not the monitor that i wanted. Pretty sure 2 star reviews had similar issues or worse. Some reviews had terrible experience with a number of monitors and had to RMA, but it still couns towards the same stars. Getting us to the point where 5 star reviews (where the screen is perfect - or, should i say, passed the QC) are only at 60% and 1-3 star are at 30%, meaning 1 out of 3 units is bound to malfunction in some way. Quite a gamble for $1300.

My unit had not one, but THREE issues at the same time, so yeah, i'd go as far as to claim that the monitor does have quality control issues. When i saw your screenshot of a black screen with logo on it and there was no visible lightbleed i cringed with envy :D

Here is what mine looked like

http://s13.postimg.org/5e4a677t3/20151125_210255.jpg

Ouch, that is quite bad; definitely glad mine isn't like that. I've been using it on a daily basis and it's still working like a charm.

I'm not saying there aren't plenty of people that had issues, but Vapor is making harsh accusations about a company with no proof and I find it hard to believe his 1/12 story (and he has a history of spouting BS in the past). It's one thing to say to be wary, but it's another to accuse a company of fixing reviews.