Should I swap Gigabyte for an Asus?

I just had a second MSI 970 Gaming motherboard quit working on me and this one is only been used for 34 days :(

So I went and got a Gigabyte 990FXA UD3 (v 4.1)  board down at the local Fry's, installed it and now my computer is working.

But I do not like the BIOS, so thinking of replacing the 990FXA UD3 with an Asus M5A99FX Pro 2.0 motherboard.

Has anyone had experience with both boards and say which one they liked better and why?

As long as you do not have the need to go into the BIOS except through your initial overclocking its not that big a deal.  The addition of UEFI BIOS's have made that side of the card more appealing and for most easier to use but how often will you be in it once you finalize your settings and drive configuration? 

I still run my MSI BiG Bang X58 board and a 920 overclocked and rarely if ever hit the BIOS.  Its like taking a walk back in time but it does not matter to me since I am in it once a year at best. 

The UEFI bios has been out for 2 years for my board, I read a few treads where  when you install it you can't oc as high and still be stable, I will never be installing it ! :no:

It's funny you should say that, the z77 board in my server Gigabyte actually REMOVED the "fancy" 3D BIOS crap in a later update for that reason and because it was a laggy pile of poop.

As for Gigabyte vs ASUS (or even MSI or ASRock for that matter) you might not realize it looking at my signature but I really don't have a preference.  I go for whatever has the features I need (or just want) at the best price.  With only a few exceptions the real world performance and capabilities in the same class of board will be within margin of error and once you get accustomed to using any brands BIOS/UEFI features even a "meh" layout isn't that big of a deal.  

I don't really buy into the you'll hardly ever use it like the guys above, because you might be the guy who wants to spend two weeks in the BIOS tuning for an extra 200mhz and if you want to you'll be seeing it a lot more than they or even I do (and to be clear that has been me off and on in the past, but the driving force was I'm broke I've got an Opteron 165 need more power, not  6 cores with HT @ 4.3 not holding me back anywhere meaningful) but I do feel that unless the layout is just awful you'll quickly adjust and in some cases learn to like it.  Not to mention who's to say you'll like using the ASUS variant any better?

With all that said for giggles I looked up the two boards and would likely choose the ASUS if I was buying today based on the front side USB 3.0 header location.  Though I do prefer the color scheme of the Gigabyte board a lot (my case does have a window, but I can barely see the edge of the 290X from here so not sure why I would even care). Other issues and complaints for me come from AM3+ being an ancient platform so no way to solve that :)

I am completely biased on this, i say get rid of the Gigabyte board that runs stupid hot and has known issues, even with the new revisions, with overheating and melting the board.. I say go for the Asus.

I can't remember what revision of that board my wife's rig has in it but it has been an absolute peach. OCs like a champ and has always been super stable.

Up to you though, both are good company's. I like the bios just fine personally but I tend to be happier a with the older style simple bios setup over the newer fancy UI's everything seems to have.

Every manufacturer has different quality motherboards. For top-end boards, ASUS, MSI, and Gigabyte all have solid components. Heck, even the mid-tier boards do. However, MSI hasn't made great strides in top-end motherboards except maybe in the last 3 years. If you're looking for good reliable motherboards, stick with ASUS and Gigabyte. MSI is hit and miss, too. Take the MSI Z77 Mpower for example. Great motherboard for me. MSI Z87 Mpower? A decent amount of users seem to have issues.

Never had an issue with My Z87 or Z97 Mpower. MSI has made huge strides in the past few years.  

Yes they have. I haven't had issues with MSI motherboards, either, except for way back in the early Z68 motherboards where their LLC and VDROOP was horrible for overclocking. I haven't had a Z87 or Z97 Mpower, so I can't say anything bad about them, except when I looked into getting a Z87 once, some Z87 Mpower owners were saying to stay away. I can't remember why, though.