Water cooled rig temps?

Cespenar

It's a thread on here from...2012 maybe? I'll try and dig it up later tonight.

Oh goodness, if you mange too that'd be great. If not, no worries mate. :) Your word is good enough for me.

Found the thread: http://forums.overclockersclub.com/topic/188340-water-cooling-loop-temperatures/:)

Turns out I did have my pump cranked up for the test (sorry, it's been a while and I forgot) but the main point is...it basically doesn't matter. As long as you have reasonable flow through your loop your order will matter little to none.

Waco: Not AMD. (The AMD in the old rig would only get to about 45C when it was pushed. Same CPU heatsink.)

CPU heatsink is first in loop.

Boinker: I've had a 360 rad since forever. (The fans seem to be running at about 830 RPM according to HWMonitor.) I thought they were supposed to be about 1200 RPM.

BitFenix Spectre 120mm Black Tinted Blue LED Fan running at 1000 RPM +/- 10% (X3)

Edited by Cespenar

Waco: Not AMD. (The AMD in the old rig would only get to about 45C when it was pushed. Same CPU heatsink.)

Boinker: I've had a 360 rad since forever. (The fans seem to be running at about 830 RPM according to HWMonitor.) I thought they were supposed to be about 1200 RPM.

BitFenix Spectre 120mm Black Tinted Blue LED Fan running at 1000 RPM +/- 10% (X3)

A 360mm rad fits in that external enclosure? Wow! lol I was wondering if you weren't rocking a 120/140mm rad in there.

With a triple radiator, I have to insist that 70+ temps feels quite high for a non oc'd chip. And you mentioned that it wasn't even in a synthetic benchmark, but in-game for 1 hour I believe. Unless the game is the worlds best optimzed game, I doubt it's doing 100% on all threads. So I would assume that if you ran this in AIDA64 or Prime, you'd bust 80c for sure.

No. No overclocking. I put the Precision X16 slider on KBoost, but I don't think it did anything.

Maybe the video card water is going to the cpu. That is something I'll check.

My AMD 965BE rig was only about 40-45C when I pushed it. And it was OC'd from 3400 to 3880Mhz. Same cooler.

The 3 fans are all slower than before. I think that has a bit to do with it, but if the GPU doesn't get any hotter than before, then the CPU shouldn't.

Whats the idle CPU temp. 

Have you check the CPU usage on idle? something else is not sucking the resource ?

it should be 60zzzC on games, that might be consider okay! 70c on water cooling hmmm..

MedievalNerd: Check the picture. The rad sits on top of case with fans blowing down.

get_saif: Worse is yet to come. Been playing Witcher again and top temp was 80celsius.

Not happy! :wallbash:

Here is current. I cleared max so this is idle

CPU = 43C

Cores:

0=39

1=43

2=40

3=40

Package=42

I will reseat the CPU block but it is a hard job.

In Process Explorer the CPU is o.25% at idle and jumps momentarily to 4.7% doing a mouse wriggle.

Edited by Cespenar

I'm trying to remember something. When I changed from AMD965BE to i7-4790k the temps were about 50 to 55C.

Can't be sure. That was with Windows 7.

These figures are with Windows 10.

I place my finger on the side of the copper block of the heatsink and it is barely warm. What does this mean? Is a copper heatsink supposed to be hot enough to burn your finger?

Edited by Cespenar

No, I meant that AMD CPUs (your old one) read low pretty much universally.

Your water block can't be warm if you want your CPU to be cool.

When is the last time you cleaned out your water block?

I'm trying to remember something. When I changed from AMD965BE to i7-4790k the temps were about 50 to 55C.

Can't be sure. That was with Windows 7.

These figures are with Windows 10.

I place my finger on the side of the copper block of the heatsink and it is barely warm. What does this mean? Is a copper heatsink supposed to be hot enough to burn your finger?

Your OS can't be responsible for heat changes, or were recalling that temps were 'lower' in the past on the same chip?

Idling at ~40C is very high. Unless you  live in a very hot place, and that your ambients are like 35C. :)

But I think Waco is on to something in his comment below. If you haven't cleaned your waterblocks and rads in all this time, might need a little flush & rinse to make it pretty again.

No, I meant that AMD CPUs (your old one) read low pretty much universally.

Your water block can't be warm if you want your CPU to be cool.

When is the last time you cleaned out your water block?

Gunk, Ga-Gunk, Gunk!

The CPU block is very clean. It has the clear cover and the fins are easy to see. But I will check again.

How do you guys flush the system?

(And I only use distilled water. No additives)

The Ambient was 23C when I did those above temps. The ambient in summer can be up to 35C in this room. (WORRY)

Here is an if necessary question: If somebody suggests I should de-lid, can the lid remain off the chip and cooling block be mounted direct to the chip?