Water cooled rig temps?

Cespenar

Ran Witcher 3 for an hour or two with CoreTemp running as well as Evga precision X16.

The CPU was 73C on highest core and 70C on the lowest core.

The 980Strix was 39C.

Obviously the GPU is good, but is 73C for a watercooled i7-4790K normal?  (Ambient was about 23C)

The game is pretty well maxed out.

post-20199-0-04961500-1440236836_thumb.jpg

No. No overclocking. I put the Precision X16 slider on KBoost, but I don't think it did anything.

Maybe the video card water is going to the cpu. That is something I'll check.

My AMD 965BE rig was only about 40-45C when I pushed it. And it was OC'd from 3400 to 3880Mhz. Same cooler.

The 3 fans are all slower than before. I think that has a bit to do with it, but if the GPU doesn't get any hotter than before, then the CPU shouldn't.

No. No overclocking. I put the Precision X16 slider on KBoost, but I don't think it did anything.

Maybe the video card water is going to the cpu. That is something I'll check.

My AMD 965BE rig was only about 40-45C when I pushed it. And it was OC'd from 3400 to 3880Mhz. Same cooler.

The 3 fans are all slower than before. I think that has a bit to do with it, but if the GPU doesn't get any hotter than before, then the CPU shouldn't.

i7 chips tend to get hot though.

Not bad at all if they're in the same loop. You should check water temps but I bet they're in the high 30s, which puts your CPU at about 30C over your water temps, which isn't terrible.

Loop order literally doesn't matter, but you'll definitely get more heat out of your GPU with a fast CPU than without.

AMD temperature sensors are notoriously bad too...

Ran Witcher 3 for an hour or two with CoreTemp running as well as Evga precision X16.

The CPU was 73C on highest core and 70C on the lowest core.

The 980Strix was 39C.

Obviously the GPU is good, but is 73C for a watercooled i7-4790K normal?  (Ambient was about 23C)

The game is pretty well maxed out.

attachicon.gifTower.JPG

73c for a chip that isn't overclocked and is watercooled feels pretty high to me IMHO.

My i7-2600k @ 4.6Ghz never goes above 65c on air.

And my 5820k @4.6Ghz (4.3Ghz Cache), with my GTX 780 TI @ 1300mhz, it never goes above 60 in gaming, and the card never goes above 45. (25c - 30c ambient temps)

If the GPU is at 39C it most likely is the first thing in the loop with the CPU taking the brunt of the thermal load from the card before it gets to the radiator. May want to run you loop a bit differently and put the CPU in as the first device in the loop. While gaming it will not impact the card as much as the GPU temps impact the CPU temps.

I wonder if your not using enough radiator for the thermal load. Also if you can check the seating of your chip waterblock.

Just food for thought. Maybe grab a triple radiator and see what it can muster some lower temps.

If the GPU is at 39C it most likely is the first thing in the loop with the CPU taking the brunt of the thermal load from the card before it gets to the radiator. May want to run you loop a bit differently and put the CPU in as the first device in the loop. While gaming it will not impact the card as much as the GPU temps impact the CPU temps.

I thought I disproved this myth a few years back? Loop order doesn't matter at all even with minimal flow. I measured within .5 C between all points in my Quadfire plus CPU loop even with my pump at minimum.

I thought I disproved this myth a few years back? Loop order doesn't matter at all even with minimal flow. I measured within .5 C between all points in my Quadfire plus CPU loop even with my pump at minimum.

Cool! Do you have a link to that post or where ever you did these tests? That would be really cool link to have on hand.

Thanks mate!