Lightning Strikes Cause Permanent Data Loss for Google

gebraset

Google has recently announced that its Saint-Ghislain data center located in Belgium was directly hit by four successive lightning strikes, causing power loss and damage to some of its disk storage. The damage that occurred to Google Compute Engine’s primary storage persistent disks that are located within the aforementioned data center caused some European customers to be without their files for four days. While Google noted that its systems are designed with battery backup, and that automatic auxiliary systems restored power quickly, the company did note that in a few cases permanent data loss to the Persistent Disk occurred. Google noted to its customers that "GCE instances and Persistent Disks within a zone exist in a single Google data center and are therefore unavoidably vulnerable to data center-scale disasters." Despite the unavoidable vulnerabilities, Google is taking full responsibility for the loss of data that did occur and is increasing its resiliency against power outages, with researchers already at work to improve cache data retention and response procedures for system engineers.

Source: The Stack

Back to original news post

I am surprised there wasn't more safety messures in place considering its google lol

Yeah but where are they going to backup all the stuff, another identical data center next door? I am kind of surprised it was hit by lightning at all, though.

I am surprised there wasn't more safety messures in place considering its google lol

Yeah but where are they going to backup all the stuff, another identical data center next door? I am kind of surprised it was hit by lightning at all, though.

I believe they usually use synchronizing databases in differed geo-location? 

so stuff like this happens. More prepared for natural disasters!!!

Ya true just figured it would be better protected in a event like this.

Maybe the lightning was attracted to the heat lol

Perhaps they should search Lightning Rods on Bing.

LMAO nice Jim Nice haha