Project CARS Only Requires 17GB of Storage to Install

gebraset

Project CARS, which is officially available for consumers to purchase and download starting today, only requires 17GB of storage space to be installed. This is quite amazing, given the level of detail that the game offers concerning in-game objects and environments. Compared to other recently released gaming titles, 17GB of required storage space looks miniscule. For example, Titanfall requires 48GB, Assassin’s Creed: Unity requires 50GB, Battlefield: Hardline requires 60GB, and GTA V requires 65GB of space. Obviously these games are quite different from Project CARS, which is developed by Slightly Mad Studios, but the fact remains that 17GB is relatively small for a game that includes so much detail surrounding its content.

Source: TweakTown

Back to original news post

It is pretty sad that the installment of games, when under 20GB, is news nowadays. Developers have gone too far in terms of installment sizes, just so they could "prevent" piracy, but still utterly fail at doing so. Making the honest consumer the victim here.

Developers have gone too far in terms of installment sizes, just so they could "prevent" piracy, but still utterly fail at doing so. Making the honest consumer the victim here.

The Witcher 3, a DRM-free game, needs around 40Gb of space. The increase in required space cannot be narrowed down to DRM or piracy prevention.

High resolution assets and textures and the vast amount of mutually exclusive content used in games featuring singleplayer and multiplayer modes contributes to the large install sizes of this generation. 

The fact that tracks used for singleplayer are the same used for multiplayer also helps Project Cars to keep the install size smaller. This contrasts to games like Battlefield or Call of Duty where the multiplayer maps are different to the singleplayer campaign maps.

That the witcher 3 is DRM-free doesn't mean that the install size would help prevent some of the piracy... Many Internet users have limited bandwidth, and could not afford a pirated game if it has a massive size like 40GB+, it is a method deployed since 2013, when Watchdogs was released with an install size of 50GB.

That the witcher 3 is DRM-free doesn't mean that the install size would help prevent some of the piracy... Many Internet users have limited bandwidth, and could not afford a pirated game if it has a massive size like 40GB+, it is a method deployed since 2013, when Watchdogs was released with an install size of 50GB.

You've lost me now... So you are saying that developers now artificially try to bloat their game size to 40+ GB in order to deter pirates who have low bandwidth ?

Have you considered the fact that a major majority of PC and console gamers both obtain games through legitimate digital downloads ?

Gamers using retail copies instead of Steam/Origin/Uplay digital copies are becoming rarer every year.

By making games larger, they also prevent legitimate buyers with low bandwidth from purchasing their games from digital marketplaces like Steam/PSN/XB marketplace thus lowering their profit. 

Do you not think it would be in their best interests to keep game size minimal to appeal to a broader market which includes low bandwidth users ? 

Has it occurred to you that the sudden increase in game size coincided after the launch of the current gen consoles ?

It is now easier for developers to make games with higher quality assets and textures with the PC as the lead platform, so now most games can now be developed for PC and ported from PC to console instead of being developed for extremely low spec consoles and ported to PC.

Also, Watch_Dogs launched May 2014 (a few months after the current gen console launch I might add) and not 2013.

Most pirates also don't really worry about bandwidth restrictions, as most of them have large caps and even if they have a small cap they will most likely just copy the files from a friend who got his copy from another friend who has faster internet with a higher cap.

To answer your questions:

1: That is what i am saying, developers bloat their size of games to prevent lower-end piracy. The honest consumers are, as always, screwed by DRM tactics, be it passive aggressive.

2: Yes i know legitimate users also download games, like i previously said, those are hurt the most by these schemes.

3: It is indeed better to minimize the size of the games, but the piracy market is so big, they are more concerned about that than the honest users.

4: I have noticed the jump in size when the current-gen consoles have launched, but this is not the sole reason why the game sized have grown exponentially, there was an article on how the size of the game could prevent piracy, because then people wouldn't bother because it would be so big.

Watchdogs was indeed released in May 2014 - COD ghosts would have been a better example.

To answer your questions: 1: That is what i am saying, developers bloat their size of games to prevent lower-end piracy. The honest consumers are, as always, screwed by DRM tactics, be it passive aggressive. 2: Yes i know legitimate users also download games, like i previously said, those are hurt the most by these schemes. 3: It is indeed better to minimize the size of the games, but the piracy market is so big, they are more concerned about that than the honest users. 4: I have noticed the jump in size when the current-gen consoles have launched, but this is not the sole reason why the game sized have grown exponentially, there was an article on how the size of the game could prevent piracy, because then people wouldn't bother because it would be so big. Watchdogs was indeed released in May 2014 - COD ghosts would have been a better example.

COD Ghosts was a current-gen launch title, hence the large size. Black Ops 2 was before current gen and was only 16Gb on PC.

So you are telling me that the reason new games post new-gen launch have gone up from 16Gb to 40Gb+ is because companies like Activision wants to deter low end piracy and not because of high quality assets/texture/new gen visuals?

Install sizes are dependent on compression techniques. Sometimes audio and textures can be compressed to get under 20GB, but other times there's simply too much for it to manage that. If the game uses uncompressed audio, like Titanfall, or multiple languages installed right away, like Max Payne 3, then it's going to be quite large. Titanfall does actually compress itself down to 20GB for the download, but on the install it's closer to 50GB when all unpacked.

Pre-rendered cutscenes take up a huge amount of space, so if a game is heavily reliant on those, then the size is going to be quite large. The game itself may only be 5GB, but if there's nearly 20GB of cutscenes, well there's your large install size. Sometimes a game is just a bad port and the developer/publisher doesn't have the best compression techniques or simply doesn't care. Star Wars: The Force Unleashed on PC takes up ~30GB, not because it needs to, but because it's a bad port and the dev/pub didn't bother to run it through any compression when taking it from consoles.

The large size has nothing to do with piracy. It's all a matter of compression techniques, what's included in terms of high-res textures and audio, and other factors. Not piracy.

Btw, X-Plane 9 launched in 2007 and takes upwards of 70GB if you opt to install everything with it. X-Plane 10 was last year and is 80GB.

I don't see how this is news, Assetto Corsa is only 6 months old and it has an install size of just over 3GB. And that's an apples to apples comparison since they are both racing games.