locking up

Beta BIOS releases are fun to play with, but I'd revert to an official BIOS release that supports your CPU.  After flashing, clear CMOS and reload BIOS defaults.

Then run Memtest overnight.

Format hard drive and reinstall Windows.  Only install bare minimum of hardware drivers required to get all of your hardware working.

Run performance tests.

Well, men, I'm done.I'm going to install the Nepton 240M tomorrow morning. I don't think it's the answer though. I was adding some movies to a thumb drive so my wife had something to do while I was operating.Wow! Thank G for spell checkers! My drafts look like I'm typing with my feet. Anyway, I'm bushed, wish I had a beer, and have 150 pictures from the senior center to edit and rate for Halloween costumes. So, right in the middle  of  writing this, nothing moves. To top it off, Carol (my wife) is picking out a new sofa. Well, we're only here for laughs anyhow, right? Time to hit thr hay, for me. Any words of encouragement would be greatly appreciated. I'm afraid this sucker's going to lock up unfinished. Good night, All.

This sounds like a problem i had in the past, and it turned out the memory was at fault here.

Did you try memtest? And if you did, what were the results?

Also, how many ram sticks do you have for that 16gb?

I heard that filled out ram slots doesnt play nice with most motherboards (so 4 x 4GB for example would fill out the slots).

Have you tried to remove 2 sticks (if you have 4 sticks, if you have 2, remove 1) to see how things go from there?

Hopefully you get things sorted out!

HI. I'm using 2x8 in 2 slots. Tried the other 2 slots same results. Memtest read no errors. Will try 1 slot after installation of liquid cooler.

How long did you run memtest?

It can take a while before any errors show up, but did the system lock up while running memtest?

If not, have you tried a different hard drive?

Since you mention it happens during downloads or installing stuff, it could be an important factor to consider checking.

I do not know what program you could use to stress your hdd to check if there are any defects in it, but i am sure other members know more of this subject.

Keep us updated! :)

Thanks for hanging in with me. After taking it apart to put the water cooler in I couldn't get it going again. Just needed a little Silver and it worked. Kind of sorry I started this, the radiator doesn't mount anywhere and there are no holes for the pump. I'll do another memtest tonight, all night.

Thanks for hanging in with me. After taking it apart to put the water cooler in I couldn't get it going again. Just needed a little Silver and it worked. Kind of sorry I started this, the radiator doesn't mount anywhere and there are no holes for the pump. I'll do another memtest tonight, all night.

If you have an optional hard drive somewhere, try to install windows on there as well, or look for a stress program to check the HDD to see if there is a defect in there.

Sadly, i cannot recommend a stress program for the HDD, since i never did it before and i simply lack the experience in that department. ;A;

Good luck!

I'm hoping to mail out some pictures to a local newspaper befor I mess things up again. Have a repair disc(never worked) and a HDD on a usb for back up. OS wont install to a usb but I have a "IN WIN" case with the sata slot on top to put the HDD in.

Well after getting rid of the Nepton and installing the Noctua I had no boot. Tried an old video card and all came together. It hasn't even locked up as yet. Only cost me $15 shipping and $20 restocking fee. Not bad considering they don't bother to mention it's for a "Full size gaming " case. (sarcasm implied)

Thanks for all pitching in.